48

I sat down on the bed and cried as quietly as I could.

"Nick, baby," Happy said from the other side of the door. "Let me in."

I just ignored him as I cried more. I knew he hadn't meant the words but they hurt. They hurt a lot.

"Nick I'm sorry," he said. He never apologizes. For anything.

I just continued to lay on the bed. I wasn't giving in that easy. If he wanted out of the marriage, who am I to stop him.

I heard him sigh before sliding down the door and sitting in the hallway.

A couple hours and a nap later, I'd finally started to calm down. I unlocked the door and opened it slowly. Kozik and Happy were sitting in the hallway together.

"I'm so sorry little girl," Happy said.

"Apology accepted," I said. He stood up and pulled me into his arms.

"I'm trying to work through this and get my head straight. It hurts and it's going to take a while," he said. I nodded against his chest.

"I know it is babe but you can't go around saying shit like we shouldn't have gotten married," I said.

He just nodded and rubbed my back.

"Everything okay with you two now?" Kozik asked. I nodded a little as did Happy.

"Good cause I hear I'm going to be an uncle," he said. I smiled and nodded as he pulled me into a hug.

"I'm so happy for the two of you," he said as I returned the hug.

"Thank you Koz," I said.

We headed down to the living room and Happy's aunt was cooking what I assumed was dinner in the kitchen.

"Where do we go from here?" I asked softly. I sat on the couch with Happy, my legs over his lap. Kozik sat next to Happy in a recliner.

"I don't know," Happy said, turning to look at me.

I nodded a little as his aunt walked into the room.

"We get through this together," she said, sitting down on the couch next to Happy. "As a family. And you two have that little one your Ma was so excited for."

"I want you to keep the house," Happy said suddenly. "I know Ma left everything to me but I'll keep paying the bills and you keep living here. Nick and I got a house in Charming."

"Thank you," she said, leaning into her nephew some. "You don't need to pay my bills. I want to go back to work."

"I know," he said. "But I'll still help out."

"Just take the help. You know how he is," Kozik said.

Happy's aunt agreed before standing up and returning to the kitchen. I placed my hand over his that was on my thigh and smiled softly at him.

"You look beat," Kozik said after a while of silence.

"You try being married to Happy and carrying his kid right now," I said, smiling at my husband so he didn't get offended.

"What's that supposed to mean little girl?" He asked.

"You're a lot on your good days my love. And this little girl is kicking Mama's ass already."

"Ain't it too early to know if it's a girl?" Kozik asked.

I nodded a little and placed my hand on my stomach.

"Yeah, about 11 weeks too early," I said. "I just think it'll be a girl."

"Can you see Hap being a girl dad?" Kozik asked with a chuckle.

"Ain't you got work to do?" Happy asked, turning to cut a glare at his best friend.

"I've got nothing but time buddy," he said.

"Hap's gonna be a great dad. I can tell," I said, smiling at my husband as he leaned over to kiss me.

"It'll be easy to do with you as her Mama," he said.