36

I showed Corri around the back half of the clubhouse and ended at Juice's room.

"What else do you want to know?"

She just stared at me as she sat down on the edge of his perfectly made bed. The poor boy has OCD but because of the club won't get the help he needs. He does seem to be doing better since he's met Corri though.

"How long have you and Happy been together?"

"About six months," I said. "I've been here almost a year."

"And you're getting married?"

"Hap doesn't like people. Doesn't love anyone but Ma and I," I said. "Sometimes when you know, you know."

She just nodded and looked like she had more questions.

"You can ask me anything," I said. I let it fall quiet for a while as she fidgeted.

A minute later she finally caved and broke the silence. "Does it get easier?"

"Having them in danger?" I asked. She nodded. Her eyes were watering so I grabbed the box of tissues and handed them to her.

"Not really," I said. "I'm always worried about Happy, but you will get stronger. Juice is a strong kid. He'll do everything he can to come home to you. The guys will do everything they can to protect him."

She nodded but she was crying. I pulled her into a hug and let her cry for a while.

"It's okay Corri. First lockdowns are stressful," I said. "These get easier the more used to them you become."

She nodded against my shoulder. She pulled away and wiped her eyes.

"Why don't you take a shower and relax before dinner," I said, motioning to the bathroom door. "I can get you some girly scented stuff so you don't have to smell like Juice if you want."

"I packed stuff. Thank you," she said.

"You're welcome Corri. Anytime you need anything, let me know. I'll lock the door on my way out," I said.

I head back down to the kitchen where Gemma was finishing up dinner with the help of a couple of croweaters.

"I told Corri to shower and relax," I said. "She's not handling lockdown so well."

"I don't think she's cut out for the life," she said.

"Gemma, give her time. She really cares about Juice. Maybe she needs to be the totally uninformed kind of old lady. Doesn't mean she cares about Juice or the club any less."

"She also isn't an old lady yet," one of the croweaters said.

"Fuck off," I said, glaring at the brunette. "Why are you even here? Lockdowns are family only."

"I just haven't left. Trying to be helpful," she said. I looked at Gemma and rolled my eyes.

"You're a croweater sweetheart," I said. "Remember your place. Conversations between old ladies isn't your place."

She glared at me and Gemma kicked her out of the kitchen.

About 30 minutes later, Gemma and I were dishing up plates for the kids. Once the kids and the other family members were fed, we made ourselves plates and sat down at the bar to eat. Corri emerged from Juice's room shortly after Gemma and I sat down but she refused to eat. 

Gemma's phone rang and the room fell silent. She answered it and stepped into Church so no one else would hear it. She opened the door and motioned me in to the church.

"What's going on?" I asked.

"Can you help Chibs patch a bullet wound?"

"Who?" I asked.

"Tig."