Time to Prepare

Ellie

Spotting Liz I run out of Kayden's hold and into her arms. Liz holds me for a moment, and I soak up all her bravery I can. Truth be told I'm terrified of where we are going from here. My body is shaking, I just hope she doesn't feel it.

"It's going to be all right El. We got this." I pull away from her to see her sincere smile. That makes me feel a lot better, just holding her, knowing she's here with me through all this helps tremendously.

I look to her right and see my brother. He looks away from me, showing me he's not ready to talk yet. Taking a deep breath, I try to calm the rage that wants to build from the situation with him. I know he needs time, but it's difficult waiting. The hardest part is I'm not sure if he'll ever come to terms with this. Then what happens to us?

Kayden placing his hand along my arm pulls me out of my thoughts. Steering me away from Liz, he walks us through the crowd, to the couch, sitting down he pulls me to his side. Everyone around us turns in our direction, some taking seats themselves.

"What are we doing?" An older man with black eyes asks Kayden.

"Unfortunately, my father and his men have made their way into the Realm of the Dark Fae." There's a gathering of shocked intake of breaths. I'm guessing that's not a good place. Which makes my stomach turn with anxiety?

"So, what I need to know is who is willing to go with us. Now as you know it's not the greatest place to be, but we can use this to our advantage. We have all been in there a time or two. Knowing our surroundings can help us in the long haul." Kayden says loud enough for everyone to hear.

"How do you figure that?" Someone I can't see asks from the back.

"Because" Kayden smirks, that smirk says it all. "My father was always too afraid to go in, he had me or his men teleport there for business. His biggest fear is the Dark Fae."

"Then why has he gone there?" I whisper from beside him.

He looks to me and says "because Ellie baby, he knows that's where he is strongest. He needs all the power he can get to face his biggest fear of all."

He kisses my forehead and captures my eyes. "You and I together are a power beyond anyone has seen. We don't even know what it will be like."

Giving me a genuine smile, he tells me telepathically, so no one else can hear "don't worry baby we will get him." I return his smile.

Within a few minutes he's excusing himself from the room, and Liz takes his spot next to me. He's got all the men and women crowded around him by the table. I suppose they are making plans on what everyone is going to do when we get there.

"You are doing okay there?" Liz bumps me with her shoulders. I guess I zoned out for a moment.

"Not sure, if I'm being honest. Don't know what I'm supposed to do, or even how to use my full power yet." I look up at her with worry in my eyes.

"How am I supposed to help like everyone expects me to when I don't know what I'm doing?" I wonder if she hears the worry in my voice.

"If anyone can do it, you can. You never see how strong you are or know what you're capable of Ellie. But I do, I've seen it all our lives." Liz looks straight into my eyes conveying everything she doesn't say.

When we break eye contact, I find Kayden. He's walking to the front of the mansion with a determined look on his face. Feeling like I should follow I go to stand, but Liz pulls me back down. I turn to her, my brow furrowed. She nods her chin, and looking I see Joshua shaking his head at me. He mouths sit down. There's a big part of me that wants to defy him but knowing what today has yet to bring I do as he says.

Some of the soldiers are following Tony somewhere, and just as I'm about to shout in their direction I feel the cushion dip on the other side of me. Looking over I see Martin has sat down.

"They are going to get the proper weapons before we have to go." He explains.

"Martin, can I ask you something?" I look at him waiting to hear what he has to say.

"I believe you just did Ellie." A smirk grows on his lips.

Not being able to help it, one grows on mine too. It doesn't happen often, but occasionally he can let loose and be fun to be around.

"Okay smart ass. What was I going to ask is do we have to go after his father today?" I worry my lips with my teeth. Waiting for his answer although I already know.

"We must Ellie. Cannot hold it off forever." Nodding my head at his answer I have one last question.

"What if I am not strong enough to help fight? Not to mention I just received all my powers."

He looks at me and I can see a sadness in his eyes. He doesn't want me to have to go through this. I can tell. "You'll be just fine. You have Kayden beside you. He will guide you. Just trust him, yea." He gives me a smile and gets up from the couch and walks away.

Feeling like I must walk out all my nervous energy, I lift my body from the couch. Liz does too ready to follow wherever I decide to go, but before I can take a step in any direction Kayden walks back into the room. He's followed by an older man with white hair.

That's not what has me pausing. What is making it hard to breathe in this moment. Or the tears building in my eyes, as one falls and makes its way down my cheek. No, what has all this happening is the woman standing beside him. My biological mother is here, alive and within my arms reach.