CHAPTER THIRTY SIX

MATTHEO RIDDLE IS YASMINE AMAROS. CALANTHA, EPIPHANY, ERISED, NICCOLÒ, KASSANDRA, AND LANA ARE MINE. ALL OTHERS UNLESS MENTIONED ARE JW RO*LINGS

─── ・ 。 ゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

T R I G G E R W A R
N I NG

SWEARING, CRINGE SMUT ICKY AND REALLY BAD

─── ・ 。 ゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

T H I R T Y S I X

WHEN I woke up in my bed, alone, some small ache in my heart grew. I don't know why I thought he'd stay with me, after everything that's happened . . . it was stupid. I was stupid. For letting him see me like that, for letting him hold me, for letting myself believe that while he held and coddled me, that it meant something.

I had so many questions for him, all of which I was terrified of hearing the answers to. Maybe that was why I wasn't asking questions, or maybe because, like before, it was getting bad again, and I was truly starting to just not care about myself anymore. Maybe, even though I told myself I believed him, maybe I was starting to call his bluff again.

I forced myself out of the bed, each of my limbs aching in soreness. I could tell I didn't move much in my sleep. As I walked, each step hurt more. And the echo of my feet sliding across the cold wood of my floor only made my stomach turn. The same way hearing myself breathe was a stomach turn; because and only because, in some way, it was a constant reminder that I was alive.

No. No, I couldn't go back to that place again. That state of mind. It ruined me, completely, and after everything he did to fix me, even though I told him he couldn't and even though he believed it was true, I knew there never would be another chance for exactly that again. Even if we did somehow fix what both of us broke.

A glimmer in the back of my mind, a small shimmering, as light grew and grew. Yesterday when Daínn had... done whatever it was he did, when I'd felt that other presence in my mind, I'd recognized it to be assimilated with that burning I'd felt in the corridor and afterwards sporadically throughout the days. Before, I didn't realize it, but after having felt it that powerfully, now it would never go away.

While yesterday, that feeling came from Daìnn, this time... it was something else. I could feel this other almost sleeping at times in the back of my mind. When it was awake, it had emotions, it felt and it felt so deeply. And when I felt, for some small little hope in my heart that I wasn't alone, I believed that this other felt with me.