CHAPTER FORTY FOUR

MATTHEO RIDDLE IS YASMINE AMAROS. CALANTHA, ERISED, EPIPHANY, NICCÓLO, KASSANDRA, LANA, VASILI, AND DÀINN ARE MINE. ALL OTHERS UNLESS MENTIONED ARE JK RO*LINGS.

─── ・ 。 ゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

T R I G G E R W A R
N I N G

use of homophobic slurs

─── ・ 。 ゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

F O R T Y  F O U R

MATTHEW

THERE was only one person I knew could help me, or at least have a chance at it. But there was no way I was going to give him the gratitude of knowing I needed his help with anything, and much less have to owe him some kind of favor.

I kept all of this contained inside the walls of my mind when I sat beside Epiphany again, the crisp morning air blowing in through the cracks of the walls in the shack. It smelled like fall morning, and felt like one, too. The sky was darker than usual, with a large grey cloud hugging the vast area over the castle. It was pretty, however, how you could see the rain in the distance, falling from the sky, like hopeless spirits reaching down for their loved ones left behind.

Soon it would rain here, and I'd have to go back to Hogwarts. I had Defense Against the Dark Arts. With Calantha.

I could skip it, yes, but I couldn't avoid her forever. Not to mention, I'd missed that class too many times, and the last thing I needed was to repeat another year. When I thought about it, I wasn't even sure there would be a school here to attend next year. Either way, it didn't matter, what was set to happen would happen, and I would stop what I was capable of stopping. Anything else that was out of my hands was simply just... that.

When the storm started, I knew Epiphany would get scared, and I hated the idea of sitting in class for an hour, enjoying the sound and sight of the rain on the windows, knowing she was curled up in a ball in a rickety shack below her greatest fear.

Almost as if she could hear my thoughts, she perked up, "I'm not worried about the storm, you know," she sniffled, wrapping another wool blanket around her, fixing the one already around her feet. I could tell she was lying, but it was okay. I never admitted to my fears either, even when every one around me already knew what they were. It was never because I was embarrassed, but I just didn't want those to feel like they knew some deep, dark secret about me.

To know someone's fear can make them more vulnerable around you. Growing up, I'd restricted that as much as I could.

I smiled. "I know you're not." I paused, "But you do know that it's okay to be afraid?"