11. EVANGELENE

Song for this chapter (BELLA CIAO, Najwa)

Evangelene

Last week, I lost my mother, I made more money than I make in three months combined, I realized I've fallen in love, for the very first time in my life, I spent the most amazing week with my daughter and I have rested really well. Not exactly the kind of vacation I usually dreamt off, but, I'm working with what I got. 

I'm back at work. Desi is back in school. It's been quite hectic. Thea came over twice after work during my temporary leave. She looked really wasted. Not the drunk kind, but the hey, I've been working like a horse for a week kind. 

I felt sorry for her, but she wanted me to take another week off. I couldn't. Life has to go on. I paid my rent. My landlord was quite surprised I paid before he could come asking for it.

I'm hoping in three months, I could find a less dangerous neighborhood. This place was what I could afford at the time. Well, there's was a great offer, but it was in Chinatown. And I would pick here over that place any day. At least, we didn't have people being killed every week by gangs.
There was a fair share of gangs and gang fights but the apartment building was a bit farther away from all the main chaos. I couldn't complain. Again, just working with what I've got.

"Good afternoon. My name is Evangelene and I'll be your waitress. May I take your order?" I said to the man. He looked a bit shabby. Like he works twenty-four hours a day for 365 days. Damn, and I thought I worked too hard. He looked to be in his late thirties or early forties. He had a really sleek black beard. Huge bags under his brown eyes and messy hair. He really needed a haircut, like pronto.

"Wow, Evangelene? That's a really a beautiful name", he said looking through the menu.

"Thank you, sir. Have you decided on what you'll be ordering?" I asked changing the subject. Most guys who wanted to hit on me always started with that line. I mean, how beautiful is my name. It's Evangelene. There's nothing beautiful about it.

"Yes. I'll have the grilled cheese, a glass of mango juice and a piece of paper", he said handing me the menu.

"Okay, grilled cheese, a glass of mango juice and a piece of paper coming right up. Wait....piece of paper?" I asked confused.

"Yeah, would that be a problem?" He asked looking at me with raised eyebrows.

"Uh, no it won't. I'll be back with your order". I left him and his weirdness. I gave the order to Marco and prepared his drink.

"Here you go. A glass of mango juice and a piece of paper. Your food will be ready in ten", I said and turned to leave.

"Wait, this is my number, call me sometime and maybe we could hook up. I'm Luis by the way", he said giving me a once over.

Eww! So that was what he needed the paper for? Goodness!
Eva, just calm down, you don't have to be rude, just kill 'em with kindness and politeness.

"I'm sorry sir, and thank you for the offer. I'm very flattered, but, I'm in a really serious relationship and my partner is very jealous. I wouldn't want anything happening to that handsome face of yours. Enjoy your meal", I said with a nice smile and left him. I was so not going back to that table. And what's with the creepy smile? 

I told Mel to take his food to him, and if he asked she should just tell him I was in the bathroom puking.

I hated these things. Not that I'm a closet case or anything, but I just don't feel the need to go around telling people I'm a lesbian. I mean, you don't go around telling people you're straight right?
And since I don't want to talk about it, I just avoid them all together.