24. EVANGELENE

Song for this chapter chapter (GENIUS, Sia ft Diplo and Labyrinth)

Evangelene

I was in my new G-wagon with Desi. We were going to her school. I've asked her severally if she knew why I was summoned by her principal and her answer remained the same no.

Desirée was a smart girl. My mum used to say she never understood why Desi was so much more like me. I started reading when I was four, and Desi started at the same age. She would go into my room, grabbed a bunch of novels and flip through them. At first, I thought nothing much of it until she came to me with a romance novel, and asked me to help her pronounce a word. It was pheasant.
The book she was reading was Montana Sky. I had to take it away and told her not read any more of that stuff. That book was too explicit for a four year old. If this meeting had to do with her academics, then I had absolutely nothing to worry about.

I was trying hard not to think about yesterday but I just couldn't. I had goosebumps and the butterflies fluttering in my stomach wasn't helping at all. My palms were already getting sweaty. To say it was magical would be an understatement.

There I was, in the most expensive Balenciaga  dress, adorned in jewels. I looked spectacular, if I should say so myself. And the dinner, god, the dinner was amazing. The food, the restaurant we went to, their services, the paparazzi. Goodness! They were relentless. The questions, pictures and today's news was just the talk of the day and probably would be for the rest of the week.

We were on every TV station, the cover of the news papers, even the magazines. I was surprised they could get them out in less than 24hours. Times, Glamour, Vogue, and all the rest you could think of. They were paparazzi everywhere. I was glad they hadn't found my house, yet. I don't want Desi entangled just yet.

We got to Desi's school and we were both taken to the principal's office. Charlotte was a nice petite woman, late 40's, pale blonde hair and dark blue eyes. She radiated respect and she had a very welcoming smile.

"Welcome Miss Bonell. It's a pleasure to meet you. Please have a seat", she said.

"Thank you, and it's a pleasure to meet you too", I said and took a seat on one of the chairs in front of her desk. Desi sat on the other one.

"Welcome once again. I'm going to go straight to the point. Are you aware of the immense knowledge your daughter has?" She asked me.

"Immense knowledge she has on what exactly?"

"On everything", she replied.

I smiled inwardly. I guess Desi had started showing off. "Yes, I'm well aware madam".

"Okay", she said a bit surprised by my answer. "Well, then. I guess there's nothing more to say here. I'm afraid but we can't keep her here any longer".

"I'm sorry? What do you mean by that?" I asked her.

"Don't get me wrong Miss Bonell", she started. "All I'm saying is that, she is way past our criteria. She answered questions from the fourth grade books, read from an encyclopedia on birds, saying their scientific names like she was singing a nursery rhyme. I think you need to see some experts about her and how best to use her intellect for better and more important things than just sitting in class all day, listening to teachers say things she already knew", she ended.

I had already thought about all this. I was also like this when I was growing up. My teachers told my mum about my "gift", but there was nothing she could do about it. She didn't even know how to get through with paying the bills on time, how was she going to find someone or some people to put my brains to work? I had to stick with school. I was called dozens of names, and they were not good ones.