18

if ure still here...ily

*

THIS thing with her parents is getting to her.

Ilang years na niyang hinihintay na mag-separate sila, pero now that it's happening, parang hindi...hindi ma-process ni Jiya.

Maghihiwalay na sila—house, properties, assets, money. Pati si Jiya, paghahatian.

She wakes up to another screaming match before school.

"We agreed, Gerard!" Hillary shouts from down the hall. "We agreed that Jiya was going to live with me! Ano na naman 'tong sinasabi mo, ha?!"

"Jiya should inherit the company, siya lang ang anak ko," her dad counters, voice rising. Jiya fists the sheets and closes her eyes, feeling her breathing go faster. "And para magawa niya 'yon, she should live with me! Besides, I will still be providing for her schooling—"

"Kaya ko rin mag-provide ng pang-school niya!"

"Hillary, we can take this to court and let them decide for us. Or ano, sabihin ko ba na you're unfit to take care of our child because of alcoholism? They will not grant you free access for visitation rights, ako ang magkaka-custody sa kanya!"

"You can't do this to me, Gerard, putangina mo—!"

"I have had enough of your bullshit, Hillary—!"

Jiya runs to the bathroom and turns on the shower, hurriedly slipping off her clothes. She stands under the raging water, hands shaking, throat closing up.

Hindi na niya sila marinig.

She stands there for what feels like an hour, from the way na nagka-marks na sa fingers niya sa tubig. When she turns the shower off, it's quiet. Too quiet.

Jiya sighs. Wala na sila.

She puts on a shirt and leggings and a jacket, pulling the hood up to hide her swollen face. Kagabi pa siya umiiyak.

She doesn't bother with makeup kasi kahit anong gawin niya hindi matatakpan ang maga ng mata niya, so she lets it be, puts on her shoes and grabs her bag, and walks downstairs.

Manang has breakfast ready on the table. "Hija, kain," she says softly, a gentle smile on her face.

Jiya smiles at her. "I'm okay, Manang, male-late na rin po ako. Thank you po, kuha na lang ako ng kape."

"Okay, mag-iingat ka." Manang caresses her back and opens the door for her. "Kuya, ingat sa pag-drive."

"Starbs po," she tells Kuya Willy, settling at the backseat.

Her phone buzzes with a text.

Pogi: good morning wife :) i have lab
meeting at lunch so wont be able to
eat w u today, see u after school <3

Jiya types her reply.

morning. okay kain ka pa rin

Migo reads that. He types, then he stops. He types again.

Pogi: u ok baby?

She massages her forehead and looks out the window, not wanting to reply to him. But she takes a deep breath and taps the screen.

yes :) dont worry

It takes him a minute.

Pogi: okay. :) mahal kita. have a good
day!

She tosses her phone in her bag.

Hindi niya kinausap mga kaibigan niya na maraming energy. Ang sabi niya lang is, "Pagod ako, sorry. Go lang."