5

JIYA wakes up with a dry mouth and a throbbing headache—the usual hangover symptoms.

Her face scrunches in discomfort as the light from her window touches her face. She turns over in bed and wills herself to go back to sleep, Sunday naman, but her parched throat is yelling at her to go get water, and her stomach is saying sorry, nagsuka ako. Kailangan mo kumain.

Besides, she doesn't like waking up too late in the afternoon, parang nasayang na niya araw niya.

So kahit medyo nahihilo pa rin siya and pangit 'yong pakiramdam niya, Jiya sits up slowly, wincing and putting a hand on her forehead, and slides off to the edge of the bed.

Dumiretso siyang banyo, stumbling on her slippers when the ground almost tilts sa hilo niya, and she almost gets a heart attack looking at herself in the mirror.

Ano 'yan?! Nakakatakot! Ang gulo ng buhok niya, may leftover makeup pa siya na smudged sa eyes and lips niya, and she's pretty sure her breath smells.

Jiya makes a face of disgust and takes off her makeup first, regretting that she slept with it on her face. Then she brushes her teeth nang matagal, and immediately hops in the shower to take off her pajamas. Pagkabasa pa lang ng buhok niya, she already feels a thousand times better.

She puts on one of her huge shirts and boxer shorts and gathers her hair in a towel wrap para mag-dry. Her headache is still there, and she needs water and something to eat, so she trudges down the staircase and calls lazily, "Manang?"

Ang alam niya kasi, both her parents are out of town from today until next week. Her dad has to close a deal with an important client sa probinsiya, tapos mom niya has to fly out for an important conference. She doesn't mind naman, she's used to it.

But Jiya freezes when she hears two voices in the kitchen—hindi mag-isa si Manang.

"Ang bango naman!" Manang says in glee. "I haven't smelled this in so long. Hindi kasi talaga kumakain ang mga 'to ng Filipino breakfast."

"Ayaw po ni Valle, 'no?"

Jiya shuts her eyes and tightens her grip on the staircase.

Bakit siya nandito sa loob ng bahay niya? Cooking with Manang pa?

She rushes down the stairs. "Hoy, what are you doing here?" she demands, stalking over to the kitchen.

Standing in front of the stove, Migo and Manang turn around. He smiles at her, face lighting up. "Good morning rin sa 'yo, Valle."

"I asked what you were doing here," Jiya snaps, raising her eyebrows. To Manang, she whines, "Manang! Ano ba! Pinapasok mo 'to?"

"Bastos ka ah," Migo notes annoyingly, pointing a spoon at her, clicking his tongue disapprovingly. "You should respect your elders."

"Hindi," sagot naman ni Manang, smiling widely. She puts a hand on Migo's arm, and Jiya's eyes widen. Traydor, putek! "Hindi ko siya pinapasok kasi natulog siya dito."

Jiya blinks. "Ano."

Migo clicks his tongue again, leaning against the counter. He crosses his arms over his chest and shakes his head. "Gan'to ka pala mag-thank you sa mga taong tumulong sa 'yo. I expected less hostility and more...I don't know, gratitude."

Jiya closes her eyes. Last night, sumayaw sila. Umalis si Migo. Uminom nang marami si Jiya, sumayaw siya with her friends and with Anton. Tapos...hinatid siya ni Migo rito? So dinala siya ni Migo sa kwarto niya? Sa kama niya?

A loud gasp escapes her lips as she hugs herself, eyes widening. Migo blinks at her, gulat. Horrified, she asks, "Paano damit ko?"

"Bobo," Migo says immediately, rolling his eyes. "Dinala kita sa kama mo—you're welcome pala, by the way—tapos Manang dressed you. Natural."