32

MIGO missing her is so heavy a feeling, it's become a problem na talaga between them.

Her work has become a problem—in between after the holidays, Migo's birthday, her birthday, hanggang ngayon. May na, at mayro'ng BookExpo sa New York.

"Don't go," Migo tells her quietly habang nasa kotse sila, bago siya pumasok. "Please."

Sa dami ng mga naging away nila, Jiya chooses to go home at 5:30 most days para masundo niya si Migo from school—and then just finishes her work at home. Kung kailangan niya mag-overtime, she limits it to once or twice a week, tapos babawi siya sa weekends, not opening her laptop, and then magb-breakfast sila together sa following mornings.

Lagi din naman busy si Migo. Sometimes, nakakapag-overtime si Jiya because he's studying with his friends or eating out, or nagt-train for Palarong Medisina.

The difference is that si Jiya, at ease kapag busy siya. Si Migo, hindi. Kasi kasama niya si Gelo.

He's trying not to say it, he's trying to separate her work and Gelo. He's saying 'work' and 'trabaho' instead of his name, Jiya can see the obvious strain when they argue. Pero alam ni Jiya na to him, work and Gelo come hand in hand.

"This isn't some sort of vacation, I'm not going to New York because I want to sightsee," Jiya counters, trying to keep her temper in check, kasi alam naman niya na Migo won't be happy about her having to go to New York for a week, a room beside Gelo's sa hotel. Alam naman niya and she understands him, understands na he'll miss her and she'll be at the other side of the world. She would, too, if the roles were reversed. She's just disappointed that he's...he's still like this over her boss. Malapit na sila mag-five years, God. "This is for work. I'm going because I need to, because it's my job."

Migo purses his lips. "I know that."

"And you still don't want me to go?"

He takes a deep breath. "I don't want to miss you for an entire week, pero wala akong magagawa. Can you just...at least promise me you'll call me?"

"Migo." She says his name like a breathless scoff. "Natural, tatawagan kita. Natural, i-u-update kita. Do you think I'm deserting you or something?"

Her incredulousness makes his lips twitch. Jiya feels her shoulders relax. "No. Kinakabahan lang ako."

"Migo—"

"Not about you. Him. Tell me if he does something. Tries anything."

Jiya purses her lips. Kahit hindi niya sinabi kay Migo na may feelings pa rin si Gelo sa kanya, he can see it raw.

"I will," Jiya assures him. "Even though I know he won't."

"I can see it, Valle," Migo says quietly, taking her hand, brushing his thumb over her skin. "You know why we constantly argue about this even though I know you love me and wala ka talagang feelings for him whatsoever."

His voice is loud in the car.

"I'm scared because Gelo sees you the exact same way I see you—brilliant. Beautiful. All things wonderful. Maybe he's as helpless as I am when it comes to you. Maybe he loves you just as much as I do."

"You love me more," Jiya says firmly, squeezing his hand. "Ano ba, sa dami-dami ng mga sinasabi mo na 'more', dito ka magpapatalo?"

He smiles. "You're right. I love you more."

Jiya brings his hand to her lips and kisses his wrist, his knuckles.

She does the exact same thing when he drops her off at the airport and waits with her for their plane kahit inaantok siya and pagod siya. She does this in front of Gelo.