1

THEY don't ask for Jiya's name at the Starbucks branch in Katipunan anymore. As soon as she drags her feet in, laptop in her arms and tote bag slung over her shoulders, bright and early Friday morning, the barista, Tyler, grins. "The usual po, ma'am?"

Jiya nods, squinting, reaching for her wallet. Her friends are already seated at their usual table, and they're waving at her. Jiya ignores them, head still woozy from sleep—or the lack of it.

"Venti iced white chocolate mocha, blended whipped cream for Jiya," he rattles off cheerfully, writing her name on the cup. "One eighty-five pesos, po."

She pays for it and heads over to the table near the sockets, pulling up a chair beside Addie and dumping her stuff on the couch.

"Pwedeng pansinin mo muna ako," Isco whines to Van, pulling on her sleeve. "Kanina pa ako nagsasalita e."

"Sinabi ko na nga na may lunch date ako," Van mutters, focused on her laptop. "Mag-aral ka nga diyan. Kaya ka bumabagsak e, you just stare at me during class."

"Natural." Isco scoffs, rolling his eyes. "Pero sino nga 'yong ka-date mo?"

Umagang-umaga ang iingay na naman ng mga 'to.

Addie gives Jiya a one-arm hug, quickly pulling away after a second. "Good morning, Jiya babes. Ready for the test?"

She nods once, spreads her legs and leans back, closing her eyes.

Van doesn't answer Isco, and he huffs, turning to Jiya. Clearing his throat, he starts, "So natatakot akong magtanong."

"E 'di 'wag mong gawin," Jiya says, eyes still closed.

Van snickers, her fingers still typing away on her laptop. "'Di pa 'yan nagka-kape, don't talk to her."

Isco sighs loudly, grabbing his coffee off the table with a frown. "Pero magtatanong pa rin ako because I failed the last one. Kasalanan ni Van, ang ganda niya kasi."

"Shut up," Van says.

"Bobo," Addie mumbles, munching on her donut, eyes skimming the thick bundle of readings in her hand.

Isco ignores them and says to Jiya, "Kailangan ko ng notes sa ArtAp."

"No," Jiya says.

He nods without argument and leans back, sipping on his drink. "Okay, let's wait for your coffee para hindi ka na ganyan. Katakot, e."

Jiya opens her eyes and stares at Isco. He blanches and looks away, scooting closer to Van.

"Ah." Addie puts her readings down and sits up straight, dusting off her hands. She grins. "As a victory for our first week, labas tayo Pop-Up tonight. My treat."

"G," Van says, not even looking up from her screen. "I need a breather na rin. Dami nang ganap, pota."

"Okay, so me, Isco, Van. I asked sila Jane na rin and they said g."

"Wala pa akong sinasabi," Isco says, raising his eyebrow.

"Van's going, so you are. Am I wrong?"

Isco sips on his drink. "Tama naman. Continue."

Van rolls her eyes, shaking her head. Addie turns to Jiya with a wide grin and her best puppy eyes.

Jiya would much rather stay home after an exhausting week, but she's already ahead of her homework, and if she goes now, she can cancel later on—'pag mas lalo nang pupuno ang schedule niya.

But. There's one other thing to consider, and she asks, in her raspy, sleepy voice, "Who else is going?"

Addie keeps her smile and answers, "Cas."