28

"SO, Jiya tells me you want to be a doctor," Gerard says, waving away the waiter after he fills their glasses with wine. "Have you decided on your school?"

"I'm working on my applications na po, but I'm leaning towards staying in Ateneo," Migo answers, barely touching his food sa kaba niya, but his voice doesn't shake and he keeps his eyes on her father's face. "The program is good, double degree po of MD and MBA."

"Ah, and then Medical City kayo mag-i-intern, tama?"

"Yes po."

"That's another four long years," Hillary interjects, raising her eyebrow. "And then you have internship, the licensure exam after, and then residency training pa."

It makes Migo's lips turn up. "I like studying po."

"Well." Her mom drums her fingers on her wine glass. "You're in Ateneo's honors program after all, and I heard you got a 4.0 last semester."

Jiya smiles at her food, proud. Under the table, she squeezes Migo's knee, and he glances at her with a small smile. Halata pa rin na kinakabahan siya, but the tension in his shoulders lessened.

Nag-start na sila ng second semester last week. Pagkahatid ni Migo kay Jiya last Thursday, lumabas bigla ang mom niya. "Jiya."

"Mommy," she said, blinking, getting out of the car. She was about to kiss Migo pa! Shit! "Um, you're home."

She was still in her work clothes, but her hair was down from her usual bun. She pursed her lips and looked at Migo's car. "This is him?"

"Hi po, Tita," Migo said behind her quietly, nakalabas na pala siya ng car. He offered his hand to her. "I'm Migo Salas, Va—Jiya's—"

"The boyfriend of two years," Hillary supplied with a hesitant smile, shaking his hand. "Migo, are you free on Sunday?"

"Mom." Jiya's eyes were wide.

"Uh, yes po," Migo said nervously. His Adam's apple bobbed up and down.

"Great. Come to dinner with Jiya's dad and I." Her gaze went to her daughter. "We both made time."

Tapos Sunday morning pa lang, hindi pa gising si Jiya, nagri-ring na phone niya.

"What," she muttered, annoyed, rolling over in bed.

"Babe!" Migo shouted, and she winced, moving away from the phone. "Nasa'n ka na? You told me you were coming over to help!"

"Putangina, Migo," she said sleepily, groaning. "Anong oras na?"

"Nine!"

"Sabi ko three, tulog pa ako." Jiya hung up.

Pagdating niya sa bahay nila at quarter, Maureen pulled her inside with a heavy sigh of relief. "Finally! Kanina pa ako ginugulo ni Kuya, nakakainis na kaba niya!"

Migo ran down the stairs and dragged her back up to his room, and she was met with a heap of his clothes on the bed.

Jiya kissed his lips with a smile, and he pushed her away. "Mamaya mo na ako landiin, Valle! Tulungan mo 'ko!"

She laughed, endeared. In the end, they settled on a simple white shirt with white sneakers, and a blue jacket over jeans. Jiya smoothed the collars with her hands with a satisfied smile. "You're handsome."

"Feeling ko mahihimatay na ako."

Jiya cupped his neck and kissed him slowly. He kissed her back, but it was obvious that he was so anxious and uneasy. "Don't be, they'll love you."

Migo gave her a pointed look.

She cleared her throat and stroked his face. "They'll like you. Even if they don't, we're not asking for their approval. I just want them to see that you love me."