Chapter Thirty-Four

I'm usually eyes and ears when it comes to watching Taekwondo fights, actually I still am right now but with a frantically pounding heart. Cursing under my breath is all I could do everytime the opponent snuck a hit at Carl. Yet thankfully, every match he had until day two of the Meet was all in his favor.

All this wasn't just about his towering luck but this guy really have the unmatched skill. It's only by his championship match against Ares that I think I'd be sick because of my nerves. I'm worried that it'll turn into an awful bloodbath but I guess they had enough during their training and both stick up with the rules up until the end. Carl won, claiming the title from Ares who was the District's champion last year. I feel both triumphant and miserable. Happy for Carl's new achievement but sad for Ares's loss. This is completely messed up!

"So guys, any plans for this afternoon?  What if we go to Pizzalocco's? Champions will be treating us!" declared Sandra giddily who's wrapped around Jake's arms.

"Hey! We didn't say anything about treating all of you!" Jake countered. Our school's basketball team also won as champions, by the way.

"Don't be such a kill joy, Jake!"

"Sandra's right. We should be treating them. We might not have a chance at winning if it's not through their all-out support," Carl stated beside me, grinning.

"Dang! Alright, Carl but two-thirds of the bill will be on you. That would be my condition, take it or leave it," said Jake.

"Okay, fine!" Carl agreed, rolling his eyes.

"He's just coaxing you!" I objected.

"Oops! Innocent here, Theena. Let's go before I change my mind," Jake demanded and I just heaved a sigh.

Jake will always be Jake.

"Aren't we inviting Ares?" blurted Jass when we arrive at the parking lot.

"I guess not. The guy already went home after the match. I met him, seemed to be unhappy," Jake replied as Sandra glared at him.

I felt Carl tighten his hold on my shoulder as each of their gazes turned toward us. I sighed once more and rolled my eyes.

"What are you all looking at? Are we going or not?" I feigned to ignore, turning to the direction of my scooter. Thanks that they didn't push it any longer and did the same.

***

"Wait, Theena. Could you stay for a bit?" Carl clasped my wrist when I started to pave my way to my waiting scooter. Sandra, Jake, and the rest of the squad already left ahead of us after our good time at Pizzalocco's.

"Uh..." I hesitated, checking my watch for the time.

"C'mon! Don't decide like your life depends on it."

"Actually it will be once I break my curfew."

"It'll be real quick. I just have some things to say. Please," he sincerely pleaded.

Lately when it comes to him, it's so damn hard to refuse.

"Fine, what is it?" I conceded.

He took a deep breath, calming himself. It's through that second that I noticed he seemed so out of himself since this afternoon, even inside the pizza house. It made me wonder.

"Alright..." he heaved a sigh once more.

"This has been a bother since that day at the farm. When you finally said what you truly feel towards me. This question came to me and lingered since that day but then I couldn't find the right time to bring it up because we're so occupied with a lot of stuffs. And maybe now isn't the perfect moment nor the most romantic one, but you know I have to get this off my chest."