Chapter Thirty-Eight

The reason behind Carl's reminder of today being Sunday is for their plan to be utterly successful. He had Auntie Mathilda and the rest of the squad to be his instigators. The whole Sunday morning I spent isolated inside my room- Auntie Mathilda assured that I did so- without knowing that all of them are preparing quietly downstairs fo their surprise after-birthday-party for me. Of course I was already speculating that they'll give me one, so I tried my best to restore the relevance of the word 'surprise' when Auntie dragged me out of my room.

It's just like my usual birthday celebrations, with cakes to slice, candles to blow, and some food are present of course so as their gifts for me. The only difference is that Carl is celebrating with us now.

Where one person was added to the company, another one also went astray. I can't help but think about Ares. He's still keeping his distance from the group since his outburst and the fight with Carl. He's as good as a stranger to us, or more so he's making himself as one. I really need to fix what's making him act this way, it's more than just the stupid Roger Concepcion thing, whoever he really is. It might be true that Ares majorly caused me pain before, but he's a big part of who I am and who I've become in the present. Without him, I wouldn't be the Athena Eowyn that everyone knows. That's why this rift should better be fixed.

***

This night I'd be going with Carl to Camelia's for the Taekwondo varsity team's victory party. The previous week had been a great one for the team since they were really successful with the Regional Athletics' Meet. It took Carl a lot of convincing and coaxing for me to go with him this night.

The reasons why I don't want to is first, I'd really have a dilemma which sartorial is the best to wear. Second, I'm obviously not the type that goes to parties like this. And the third, I'm sure the venue will be filled with jocks or girls like Umbriel who goes after jocks. So all in all, I'd be totally out of place.

But because of the fact that when it comes to Carl, I could hardly say no and when he's making that pitiful puppy face, I couldn't bare but agree with him. It might also be an opportunity for me to talk some sense into Ares because for sure, he'll be at the party too.

We pulled over at Camelia's which was originally a restobar that is now temporarily rented for tonight's event. I wore a really conservative knee-length skirt and a tank top  covered by a denim jacket in which Carl appreciated very much.

He rested his arm on my shoulder once we sauntered to the main glass doors. A lot of students were already inside, some were dancing with the blaring music and the blinding disco lights while others were drinking booze and talking at their different corners.

Minutes after hanging out together, Carl was ambushed by his co-players, leaving me alone at the drinks table. I wish Erin and the rest of the gals were here so I could at least have company to talk to.

"Hey!" Someone spoke from behind me and I turned to see who it was.

Ares was standing a foot before me with a plastic cup on one hand filled with punch.

"Oh! Hey," I greeted and smiled at him amidst his sudden appearance.

So maybe destiny really wants me to talk to him tonight since he's the one who approached me first before I could go look for him.

He managed to smile, though for me it doesn't completely reach his eyes, I'm still glad I could see him smiling, showing his deeply carved dimples that I didn't realize until now how I missed that visage of his.

"So, how are things going with Cortes?" he asked, taking a sip of his drink.

"Could you please call him Carl and not with his surname?" I blurted.

When Destiny Plays (Completed)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें