Chapter Thirty-Seven

After Umbriel's failed confession scheme to Carl, things started to cool down amongst all of us. At first I thought she was just trying to accept her rejection- the thing she isn't used to- but as days passed I'm starting to believe that maybe she finally decided to leave both Carl and I alone. I hope she finally woke up from being the desperate her and return to the Umbriel who'se never gotten against my way before. She should learn something from what she did and know that not everything she wanted can always be hers in the end.

A lot of things happened after I finally retrieved my poetry notebook. For a few weeks I got busy practicing with my CAT colleagues for the forthcoming Battalion Ceremony Competition while at those times Carl was also all eyes and ears practicing with the Taekwondo varsity team or with his Phoenix bandmates.

My dearest friends were as supportive and stress-relievers as ever. I remember Erin and Jass being there when I was about to give up with the task bestowed to me. At the time when pressure was eating me alive, they were there. Sandra was always the clown of the group, making sure to cheer me up every time. I also remember Martha's all-out efforts in making the support banner at the day of the competition. Luckily, after all the draining efforts, the blood, sweat and tears invested there in, our school took home the title as the 2020 Battalion Ceremony Champions and I was also awarded as the best commander! Dad's really proud when I delivered him the news and of course, I couldn't be more happy and thankful at the same time. This is the best high school year I've got so far.

But things doesn't end just like that, for me this was also the busiest month ever. It's now October, my birth month. My birthday was one of the highlights I've been looking forward to each year. But right after the Battalion Ceremony Competition which I was totally wiped out, the undying voyage continues with the journalism contest at hand.

You know, you can take it as "okay fine" if school activities were all piled up this month but it's so not justifiable that the very day of competition would be on my birthdate. It's like a living hell! I'm supposed to be at ease during that day but instead I'll be ransacking my brain enable to win that competition. Another overwhelming pressure to get over with. But above all, this only means that I won't be able to be with Carl, my best set of friends and my family on that special day.

We'll be traveling October 20th to Cebu for the Regional Press Conference, my event would still be feature writing just like the previous year. This is my second time in the RSPC, last year was really a flop since I was a first timer and I was really looking forward for this another chance to prove myself since then. Now that it finally came, the wheels had turned. I don't want to join the freaking contest anymore but instead celebrate my once in a lifetime turn to seventeen with the ones I truly love.

But irrevocable decisions has been made, maybe I'll just try to be more invested in the competition and strive hard to get a damn medal as a birthday gift to myself that could save me from sulking during that day.

The night before I depart with Ms. Olivine, our English teacher, I was busy preparing and packing all the stuffs that I needed. It's not like we're having a vaccation but I really like to make sure things were utterly organized and double-checked. I'm not carrying with me the entire house in case something was left behind after all, so better be certain. After I was satisfied enough that everything is all packed and organized- except for my brain though- I finally decided to go to sleep so that my tired soul could rest at once.

***

I felt like I was asleep for barely two hours when I was woken up by my buzzing phone. Damn! If this is just some prank call, dearest prankster on the other line, just please let me have a doze!

My phone stopped buzzing when I missed the first ring. I thought, whoever the caller was, he or she finally gave it up. But then, after a few seconds, my phone rang again. Ugh! Screw these pranksters! But what if it's an emergency?