CH. 3. Lord Byun

Author's Pov :

Author's Pov :

It was Late, and the night was chilled. The downpour has decreased since this evening. 

Chanyeol was in his office, going through all the death cases thoroughly. He was focused and the way he had his eyes rooted to every piece of information, one would think he had an exam. He looked through all the files, each case similar to the other, each having similar wounds. That at least clears it that they all died by the same person.

It's not his first time staying up at such an hour, but it was neither a daily job for him. His eyes have drooped since all the tiredness and fatigue can be seen on his face. His body language was neither proper nor messy. 

"Chanyeol?" 

He heard a knock on his office door, which seemed to snap the young Alpha from his hourly brain damage. When he didn't answer, the one behind the door gently walked inside, and gave the Alpha a shake of his head. 

Sehun frowned, his displeasure was clear on his face. "You skipped dinner, young man. If An Alpha behaved so carelessly, who would look after the pack?" 

Chanyeol returned a tight-lipped smile, his grey eyes dull and dim. "If I am not able to protect my pack then what's the use of being an Alpha" 

Sehun sighed, taking a seat and looking at the cases as well. He picked up one and then dropped his gaze at the other on the table. 

"There is no clue except that they died the same way" He tsked. "There is no use of going over them again and again" 

Chanyeol nodded absentmindedly, as he crossed out another dead-end file. "Did the scouts contact you? Any news from the other packs?" 

Sehun shook his head before leaning back against the leather chair. "There were no such cases, except for ours. Kyungsoo had sent a search party outside our pack territory to find any pieces of evidence left by the culprit but they have come back with empty hands. I guess the Myst is not gonna give us the answers we want"

Chanyeol watched the other who was mirroring his distress. He glanced out of the huge window and again his eyes fell over the wall which separates the mist from the wilds.

He slowly stood up and walked towards the window. His eyes never leaving the darkness which seems to be a never-ending abyss.

"You are right," Chanyeol whispered. "Myst isn't gonna give us the answers because myst doesn't have them" His gaze hardened as if he was determined for something. 

Sehun, who looked lost for a second, snapped out of his thoughts as soon as he heard the other. 

Chanyeol turned around, before facing his Beta. "From the start, we were looking in the wrong place, but I know where we still haven't peaked"