14

"So how was your phone experience last night?" We walked early in the morning towards the town uphill. We had to visit again the elders and help them with house chores.

"What do you mean?" She chuckled.

"Did you struggle? Did you use it a lot?"

"What, you think I've never had one in my life? Of course I know how to use it. I just didn't use it last night, I turned it off."

She what?? 

"Oh, I see."

"You wanted to talk through it?"

"Ah no no, I'm just curious"

Close one.

.
.
.
We spent most of the day with Mr. and mrs Kim, as usual. We went to other houses and helped with cooking and cleaning, as well as groceries and other stuff.

One of the grandpas wanted some some candies, Hayul liked to spoil them like children, so we walked to the closest shop to get some. It's a very desolated town, but there are some food shops and other needs around.

"When I tell you I'm so hot right now" I whined while walking to the shop.

"If you say so..." she rolled her eyes.

"I'm literally talking about heat, Hayul." I laughed, "I'm sweating like crazy right now"

"Ohhhh, I'm sorry" she giggled, "I don't think it's that hot though"

"Who, the weather or me?" I mocked.

"Both"

I stopped walking, offended, she just kept walking and laughing.

"Hey! I am hot!"

"You already told me you're sweating"

"No, I mean I'm handsome"

"Meh"

"What do you mean "meh"?!" I walked past her and walked backwards.

"Anyways, Im sure you're hot because your hair is too long and it makes your neck sweat more than normal."

"It's not-..." now that I think about it, she might be right.  She raised her brows as if she knew she was right.

"Let me cut it"

"What?!"

"Your hair"

"Yeah I got that, are you crazy?"

"I know how to cut hair!"

"Still, I like my long hair"

"Then keep suffering with it." She shrugged and walked faster. We eventually got to the shop, Hayul bought what we needed really quick and as that, we went back. It was a 20 minute walk back and the sun was really making me suffer.

Before heading to give the grandpa the candy, we went to the remaining houses to help. The elders still ask Hayul if I'm her boyfriend, which of course we deny right away, but we're getting used to it honestly.

"You know what Hayul?" The grandma said, "I think I've seen your boyfriend somewhere"

I started to feel nervous right away.

"Really? Where?" She asked. Now that I think of it, she didn't deny it this time. The old lady looked at me, I was wearing a face mask luckily.

"My granddaughter listens to a lot of music, and I think I've seen him in one of those videos she shows me"

Uh oh.

"Ah, I've been told I resemble a singer, but I'm not related to it." I bowed.

"Are you sure?"

"Totally" I insisted. "Hayul, it's getting late, we should deliver those candies"

"I'll ask my granddaughter next time his name, maybe you could look for him"

"Y-yeah, sure" I laughed and pulled Hayul from her shirt. She somehow understood and quickly bowed to leave.

"What was that just now? Were you uncomfortable?" She asked once we went outside and back to the grandpa's house.

"It's just getting late and we shouldn't be out"

"It's fine, if we're together nothing will happen" she shrugged.

We finally arrived back to the old man's house. We entered and went to his chair, he greeted us and like a like kid clapped of happiness for the candy.

He opened eagerly the bag, but his smile faded.

"What's wrong?" Hayul frowned worried.

"No, nothing honey, thank you so much!" He tried smiling again, but I guess Hayul knew him too well.

"No, tell me what's wrong?" She took a look at the bag. "Oh nooo" she whined, I clearly told the lady to give me banana flavored! I'm so sorry!"

"Don't worry sweetheart, I'll go tomorrow and get more, you were very kind to go for me-"

"No!" She whined again, "I know how much you wanted to eat today! Let me go quick and change them!"

"Oh no no, it's very late, don't worry"

"No" she stood back up and grabbed the bag. She checked her watch and quickly made her way to the door.

"Hayul wait! You stay, I'll go!" I suggested.

"They're closing in 10 minutes, I need to run!"

"You won't make it on time! It takes 15 minutes at the least to get there!

"I'll run! You stay here with grandpa!" She already had begun to run. I scratched my neck and turned to the old man, returning to sit down beside him. As much as I wanted to go after Hayul, I'd be a bother since I hate to run, and someone had to stay with the grandpa.

The evening was getting darker and darker, but there was no sign of Hayul yet, I was starting to get worried. I knew it took some time to go and come back, but it had been almost 40 minutes. I helped the man with dinner and cleaning the kitchen in the mean time, but I really was concerned.

"I'm sorry Sir, I'll go look for her"

"Please do, son, I didn't want her to go and risk herself for it-"

"No, don't worry. You know she's stubborn sometimes, I'll go get her"

"Please do, I'm worried too"