𝕋𝕙𝕚𝕣𝕥𝕖𝕖𝕟

The following morning mae walked alone to school

The following morning mae walked alone to school. Celeste was sick with a stomach flu, much to Maes disappointment since she didn't like walking alone. Sometimes the cool sounds of the river flowing through the woods on a cold morning would be of comfort but besides that the walk was rather lonely. Mae kicked up leaves and pinecones as she walked her path to the school building.

The pads of her feet in her shoes padded against the concrete as her eyes made contact with the principles. She greeted the straight A student with a nod, her brown curls falling soft on her shoulders.

"Hi Mrs. Robinson!" Mae said, waving her small hand. The Pom poms on her hat and gloves bounced as she walked happily past the principle which had, in time, became a close friend of Mae's.

Mrs Robinson smiled at her, watching as the happy girl walked inside, pulling her backpack over her shoulder and opening it to look for her notebook for first period. The corridor was filled with children. Hallway gossip and small chit chat filled the walls just before the bell rang through and disrupted the many conversations.

Mae turned the corner and saw the head of bleach blonde hair, her eyes widening. She quickly put her hand in front of her face as her legs picked up speed and tried to duck between other students. She was quick, making eye contact with the stair case that she needed to get to.

But, just before she made it to the open door of steps, the high pitched voice spoke.

"Hey!"

Mae squinted, slowly turning her body to be met with the incoming force of hands. She was on the ground on seconds, watching as the bleach blonde, Sarah, laughed over her. Her posey of friends were right behind her cheering her on. Mae sat where she had fallen, hoping a teacher would come by and help the situation.

"You got any money for me today." She teased, crossing her arms over her chest. Mae shook her head.

"That's too bad, what else you got to make up for it." She sneered, grabbing her pack pack from the floor and opening it. She tipped the bag upside down, emptying its contents onto the floor. Sarah was furious to see there was nothing of interest.

Sarah had been Mae's school bully since 4th grade. She wasn't sure how the rivalry started. But she was told it was because Mae had accident eaten her ham sandwich as kids. Ever since Sarah "had a bone to pick" with the young girl. Sarah was two years older however, and yet had the mental immaturity of a kindergartner. This didn't go unnoticed by the school but nothing had ever really been done about it other than a two week suspension for both students after an incident in the lunch room.

"What about those earrings?" Sarah said, eyeing the beautiful diamonds.

"N-no you can't take these Sarah," Mae muttered, "they are special to me."

"Special? How special, those things must run for thousands!" She said, pointing to the studs that Mae wanted to keep. Mae scooted her body back, holding onto the earrings for dear life just before Sarah lunged at her, overpowering her and trying to rip the earrings from Mae's grasp.

"Sarah stop! You can't have these ones!" Mae screamed, kicking Sarah's legs to get her off. The girls went into a scuffle, pulling at each other's hair, gloves and hats flying off, bags dropping off shoulders and chants from fellow classmates.

The crowd that accumulated in the hallway had attracted the attention of Mrs.Robinson as she walked down the corridor to first period. The bell rang minutes ago so the ruckus sparked her curiosity. The crowd of shouting students was a tall tell sign of a fight, something she was no stranger too.

What shocked the young principal, was the girl involved. Sweet Mae. How could she be in a fight?

"Girls girls! Knock it off this instant!" The voice boomed, pointing her finger at the two. The crowd quickly ran away, not wanting to get involved or have a detention on their record. Mae's cries for help and fear for her earrings still rang through the hallway.

Mrs.Robinson helped pick Mae off the ground. As she leaned over her shoulder, it was evident Sarah had won this battle.

Mae has bloody knuckles, fingers, a bruised arm, and scratches littering her neck and face. She had tear stained cheeks from the crying she had done in what felt like an eternity. Sarah only had a few scratches, but then again she definitely had the upper hand in fighting being older and bigger than Mae. Mae sniffled, grabbing her hat that was now dirty.

"Both of you..my office. Now!" She said, her heels clacking as she held Mae's arm. Sarah followed in close pursuit, hoping her father would get her out of whatever punishment would be bestowed upon her.

Once inside the office, Mae and Sarah sat feet apart, facing Mrs. Robinson's desk. Mrs Robinson folded her hands as she tried to gather the words to say. A fight between two girls was rare enough but for one of the students to be Mae, a shy and straight A student, was even rarer.

"I don't even know what to say for the behavior that was displayed today." She started, making eye contact with the girls. Sarah still held her pride. She eyed Mae, who was sitting with her head down, still crying in fear of a suspension on her perfect record. She wouldn't be able to get into college with a record like that. Even though it was common, to Mae, it was like she was a criminal. Who on earth would accept someone with a suspension for fighting on their record??

"Sarah it doesn't matter how much money Mae could have had on her today, there was absolutely no excuse or motive for this." The principal spat, trying to ignore the girl crying in the seat across from her.

"Mrs Robinson, Mae came at me first. All I wanted was to borrow her hair brush!" She lied, trying to get the principal to turn the cards on Mae. But Mrs Robinson knew Mae would have shared a hair brush if Sarah had asked for it. There was no way this whole mess was over a hair brush.

"Sarah I'm only going to ask once. What was this really about?" She demanded. The room fell silent. Neither of the girls spoke.