Epilogue

At some point, there are things you have to do that you never thought would be of concern for yourself

At some point, there are things you have to do that you never thought would be of concern for yourself. There are feelings you have to come to terms with. for Mae's mother grief was one of those things.
The funeral in which she saw her only child laying peacefully in a white dress was the first time she really truly, knew her daughter was gone. And yet, the hardest part had yet to come. The hardest part, was long after the funeral. When the seasons had changed. When school started and left, and when Mae's graduation class had all graduated and moved on to the next stage of life. When the year had passed just as quickly as it came and Mae's birthday was a dull rainy day. There was no balloons, or cake. Just the empty room she had left behind.
Her mother felt so much hatred for the man known as Harry. He had came and whisked her away for his own selfish happiness, and took her for the same reasons. Her mother found it hard to forgive Harry. Found it Hard to accept her daughter had truly loved him even in her tragic last moments of life. Why couldn't she have picked someone better? Someone who wasn't so selfish. Then she would sit in her guilt. It took the grieving mother a long time to learn a few things. Number one being Mae didn't get to choose. And she had no knowledge of who Harry truly was, she had a painted image of him and had fallen for that version. And none of it was her fault. And with time her mother didn't blame Harry either, she didn't blame anyone. Having hatred for a man who's dead won't change the fact her daughter is gone. And she started to heal upon that realization. Upon getting through her grieving. Each stage was difficult.
But of all of them, the last stage- acceptance, was the hardest. Because you no longer believe your loved one isn't gone, or coming back. You don't make up scenario's in which they are still with you.
There comes a feeling of peace with the acceptance stage. As a gentle reminder, they are gone, and they are not coming back. But the time that you did share with them was precious. And that is the biggest gift you could have possibly been given.

Spring.
5 years later.

The cool breeze blew as the leaves from autumn crunched beneath two pairs of boots. Walking through the cemetery, Mae's parents were hand in hand with flowers in their pockets. Daisy's. Mae's favorite flower. The couple approached the grey headstone with the words 'baby blue eyes' written on the front. The date she died was scrolled on the bottom, and the grave was hidden under a large tree that started to grow oranges in the early months.

It was shielding the grave from the elements in a way, purposely picked by Mae's mother. It was a way of protecting her daughter even in the afterlife, and she frequently visited this spot. Sometimes she would sit and talk. Sometimes she would simply read the tombstone over and over.

Even in death, her mother felt Mae was still with her. Sometimes her candles would flicker without the slightest breeze. Her daughters room, though nothing was ever disturbed, it's windows would be open in the early dewy dawn hours of morning. Her room was as Mae left it. Pink, bright, and full of life. Just like she was.

Her parents stood at the grave and watched as a dove came to sit upon the tree. It chirped, flapping its wings as if to say hello.

"Do you think that's Mae?" Her mother asked, watching the bird dance upon the tree branch.

"Who else would be this lively in the morning?" Her father laughed, stretching an arm around his wife's neck. He watched the corners of her mouth come up into a loving smile. Her eyes drifted, pulling out the flowers from her pocket. Her fingers pulled the petals gently, adjusting the white silk ribbon holding the stems together.

She brushed her hair out of the way, separating from her husbands warmth as she stepped forth to the grace under the orange tree, hearing the dove chirp from above.

The pile of daisy's were placed onto the grave, sitting perfectly still. Her mother watched them for a few seconds, rereading the words on the tombstone over and over like she had done many, many times. Mae's father watched the dove flap it's wings, singing it's tune.

Mae's mother touched the tombstone where the picture of her daughter was. The engravings of her daughters eyes and the ribbon in her hair were most prominent beneath her fingers, almost like Mae was still here and she could feel her features. She stared into the concrete eyes, saying a million things with no lip movement. And there was something so innocent and lifelike about the way the breeze seemed to hug the once grieving mother. She truly believed in her heart, that it was Mae.

And with that, she stood from the grave, connecting back with her husband.

"Happy birthday sweetheart."

And that's a wrap.

Thankyou guys so very much for reading this book and sticking around through all its long hiatus's. I am a dark writer. Do this book was very dark and sadly true. Most cases like this don't end happily hence why I chose to end it this way. I have a few other books in the process of writing if you'd like to take a look also. And even though Mae isn't a real character, let's give her a Rest In Peace and a big middle finger to Harry. Lmao. Anyway, hope you all enjoyed.

🖤