Thirty three.

The finale, part 2

The finale, part 2.

The sound of the bath water of the large home Mae was trapped in faded from her ears as she stood in the bathroom. Her mouth was slightly agape and her eyes trained at the floor to ignore Harry's shadow flickering past her every few seconds. Harry was pacing around, pulling at his hair. The aura of the room was eerie feeling and gloomy as the bathroom light flickered. Mae blinked occasionally, not bothering to look up at Harry. He was cursing again.

All she cared about was listening to the sounds of police sirens hurrying down the long dirt road. She could hear them coming but it didn't really do any justice to her since she doubted Harry would let her leave.

They were far off in the distance, sounding closer as they headed up the long winding roads where they saw the form of the huge house start to appear somewhere hidden behind some trees. It was an eerie sight. The house hadn't been well taken care of, yet it's beauty was that of something great.

The police pulled up, surrounding some acres of foliage. They tried to look inside, but all the lights had been turned off and it really looked quite vacant. The cops huddled around the home. Low and piled aggression, guns drawn, hearts racing, they encased the home within minutes.

Mae could see the outline of the cars from the upstairs window as she was being dragged into the bathtub. Harry's fingers popped two unknown pills into Mae's mouth and poured some water down her throat as she swallowed. He shakily set the glass down. Harry quickly shut the curtains, letting out a heavy sigh. He then joined Mae in the water, his legs coming around to surround her small form. He whispered sweet nothings into her ear. Trying to calm her racing heart, drawing patterns into the soft skin that laid beneath him. She lazily looked up at him through glossy eyes.

"Pretty blue eyes" he murmured, becoming sleepy. "Blue, blue eyes."

Mae heard the soft tune hum in her ear as she gently rocked between his strong arms. The distant shouts from outside rang through her head, like a strong current pulling her from her sleepy state. She felt Harry's hand slowly disappear from her leg, plopping gently into the water. Her legs felt tingly, and the feeling of a calm sort of gentle, cloud like state swept over her.

The crisp leaves fell onto the floor of the outside. The trees gently blew in the early morning of that day, the sun just barely touching the hills top as it said hello to the world again. All was still- calm as the cops watched inside for any sort of movement.

They could see the trash was full, the outside pool deck hadn't been swept. But there was nothing. No sounds, no movements.

"Harry! If you don't come out we'll come in and drag you out!" The police chief called, his gun drawn towards the front door of the house. Everyone waited for something, a sign. But all was quiet.

The group debated on breaking in, maybe for the safety of the girl inside it would be better. They had to consider all the options and the outcomes, and if Harry wouldn't come out himself, they really had no other choice.

~~~~

The world watched as the scenes of the young girls disappearance came to an abrupt, and sad, close. Everyone really had hoped she would be found safe. And the bright and bubbly girl would come home, despite her objections and rejoices of her feelings for the man.

Somewhere deep down in the police chiefs head he had a sliver of hope too. He had done many kidnapping cases. In all his years this one was so different, one he hadn't seen before. He hoped the slim chance that Mae was alive would prove to be true, To bring home the beautiful girl that Harry had so selfishly taken. But, he had to come to terms with the fact not all victories could be his, and upon seeing the sight in the upstairs bathroom, it became clear this battle was won a long time ago by the green eyed man.

Though, as harry sat in the cold water, head laid back and arms slack, it was almost as if they could see the small hint the evilness of that man still resides after his death. The corners of his lips were pulled, almost in a smirk. Even in death it was clear he had to be smug about what he had taken, and selfishly dragged with him to his grave.

The young girl laid quietly in between his legs with blue lips that matched her blue eyes, which were shielded by heavy eyelids covered by long eyelashes. Her skin was even paler now. It had taken a ghostly milky color, but it seemed too that a part of her still resided.

The beautiful rosy color of her cheeks.

She was wearing a beautiful white dress that had soaked through to reveal the milky skin beneath. Her veins had turned a purple hue. Disappointment etched across the chiefs features at his loss. He was hoping to find her alive and well, and now that she was in fact gone, he had to handle the awful task of telling her family.

As a police chief, it pained him to see someone so full of light leave this earth on brutal terms. Such innocence and beauty should be preserved. The older man didn't let a tear slip from his eyes as he watched the body's be taken away. His feelings and work had to remain separate, and he couldn't show up with a tear falling from his eye. Not in front of the news reporters and neighbors whom had taken their curiosity and led to the huge house where all the fuss seemed to drip from.

It seemed, the world had stood still for the mother of the girl who was approaching the scene, her hand over her mouth as she saw the body bags being taken inside.

There was one, but why was there two? Oh dear lord why, why was there two??

And when the police chief had come out, guiding the two body's out of the house, and she caught a glimpse of the golden blonde hair on the gurney she lost it. She fell to her knees in the dirt. A piercing heart broken scream only a mother could let out, erupted. She struggled to lift her aching body back up, chasing after the paramedics who had her daughter in a body bag.

Her eyes watered, grieving, sad, tears streamed down her face. Her body was shielded and pulled back, and as if it was all slow motion, she saw the horrified face of the police officers stopping her from going to the dead body of her daughter.

They tried to drown out the sounds and wails. It was hard to hear.

But to be fair, it was hard to see her only child being carried away on a gurney next to her killer.