Thirty

The beeping of the heart monitor going was the first sound Mae heard when she woke up

The beeping of the heart monitor going was the first sound Mae heard when she woke up. She was lulled out of her sleep, shyly opening her eyes to see the hospitals walls surrounding her. Her fingers glitched, feeling the IV tube that was hooked into her arm on her skin. The once warm blanket covering her was now chilled. It had been so long since it was given to her she guessed.

The hospital room door opened, and the nurse came rushing in.

"I'm glad your awake, it was quiet the fall you had." She said. She weakly smiled, feeling the IV get adjusted in her arm. Her mother came in soon after, fighting against the other nurses to see her daughter. She pushed past the group and scurried over to where Mae laid.

"Oh sweetheart, I'm so sorry. They told me you passed out, I know the news must have been shocking. I'm such a failure at being a mother but we will get everything figured out." She said, pointlessly patting down the blanket.

The cops that had previously been interviewing her were replaced, she had come to learn. It hadn't been an hour since she had come to before a pair of detectives had come back.

Through the next 4 hours she learned everything. She answered the questions, trying to ignore the heartbreaking feeling she felt all the while. She would get a squeeze every now and then from her wheeping mother who had a hard time hearing the sugar coated bill shit that her daughter had basically been manipulated by a serial killer.

She held her daughters cold hand, thanking god her daughter wasn't one of the girls on the posters.

Mae laid in bed, watching the rain fall off her windowsill. She was pale, cold, and her mind was off somewhere in space. She thought of many things. Her life, her friends, her mother. Her poor, poor, mother. She clouding imagine the kind of guilt her mother was feeling. Imagine getting told your only child was sneaking around with a serial killer, that he was in your house on multiple occasions.

Mae squeezed her eyes shut, wanting to rid Harry's face from her mind.

Her heart swelled from the emotional pain she had. She had formed an attachment, feelings even. Harry seemed so nice, he was attractive and she found it hard to believe he was this monster the cops had explained to her. But the missing girl posters couldn't be made up. As much as Mae wanted them to be, they weren't.

Mae hurled into a ball, feeling some tears escape her eyes and onto her pillow. She let out a breath, convincing her mind to go to sleep to escape the pain. Maybe she would dream of Harry. He would be there, standing, waiting for her with open arms and maybe in that version she created he wasn't so messed up. He loved her. And she was his for as long as she wished to be.

That version was much better to think about. And so often she slept just to see that version of him and feel something positive.

Sooner or later, her mind would make her fake world disappear. And she would wake up, still in her bed, sleeping on her tear stained pillow. She knew what was coming everytime she was pulled back into consciousness. When she opened her eyes, the room was dark. The window was getting rid of the dew from the rain. The moon was out tonight, shining into Mae's bedroom.

The aura was different this time.

Her eyes examined her room. It was a blue haze kind of color due to the moon, but the feeling she had was familiar. Only now it was eerie. Giving off a spooky feeling in her gut, she clenched the sheets in her little fists. Anger and resentment bubbled within her.

He was here.

And it seemed the world waited for her to realize it. Because only then did she hear the smallest movement from behind her.

"The police are looking for you, Harry." She spoke. Her worst, yet best fear was confirmed when she heard him sigh. His chest rumbled as the breath left his body. She could hear his boots move closer, creating her floor to creak beneath the carpet. She was scared her mother would hear it if he was too loud.

Her head felt heavy as she turned to see the man she was in love with.

She could feel hot tears slowly start to cascade down her rosy cheeks at the first eye contact she made with him. He was wearing a black hoodie and black jeans, his car keys were in his pocket, stuffed away from her vision. He had black boots on that were muddy. His hair looked wet. She saw the small curls line his forehead, sticking to the water on his face. He licked his lips.

"I may be going away for a long time." He smiled sickly, watching Mae suck in a breath as he got closer. "But I wanted to come see you one last time."

"Please, just leave." She said.

An angered expression overtook his features in seconds. And before she could blink he grabbed the blankets, throwing them off her body. She could only cry. Partly from fear, but also from how she knew she wasn't going to get away from him. She could scream, but what would he do to her parents? She had faith somewhere that he loved her too much to kill her. So naive.

Harry pulled out a washcloth from his hoodie pocket. It was wet with something that she could smell from a mile away. There had to be some kind of drug or something in there. Harry's huge hands came down as they gripped the washcloth. He brought it to Mae's mouth, angrily wiping away a tear from her cheek.

"Wait," Mae said, grabbing onto Harry's hand. "Please h-"

"I'm doing this for us." He said bluntly, trying to press the washcloth onto her mouth. She turned her head away, smelling the awful chemicals that radiated from the cloth as she almost gagged, scrunching up her nose.

"You don't have to do this, I'll do whatever you say." Mae looked up at Harry through her sad blue eyes. The big, doe like appearance was still evident. It was one of Harry's weaknesses, as well as his favorite thing about her. Her innocence. Her big blue eyes, he loved those eyes.

"I'll go with you, wherever you want." She quivered.

Silence took over the room for a few moments. The washcloth dropped its substance onto Mae's pillow, making her nervous. He laced that cloth with lots of whatever it was. She didn't want it coming anywhere near her.

"Alright. Let's go."