Twenty five

Mae sat the dinner table that night as her parents talked about their travels and all the amazing architecture they had seen while gone

Mae sat the dinner table that night as her parents talked about their travels and all the amazing architecture they had seen while gone. In detail Mae heard about wonderful carvings and smooth and grand buildings that were centuries old. Her mother showed her some photographs. She had to admit they were very beautiful- old, but beautiful. Still, the young girl didn't have much of an interest like she usually did.

She picked at her food instead, her cheek in the palm of her hand.

"Dear, your hardly eating." Her father said, taking a sip of his water. She peered up at her parents through thick eyelashes, her baby blue eyes looking into her parents, sticking some peas into her mouth.

When dinner was over her parents went to unpack their things and Mae stayed downstairs in the foyer. She turned on the television and kicked her legs up on the sofa as she looked for a random tv show to watch. The television lights flickered in her face. She was looking for something that sounded appealing to her, but she was in a bit of a mood.

It didn't go unnoticed by her parents either. They could tell something was wrong with their only child. She was normally bubbly and in high spirits. She got that gene from her mother, as well as her looks. But in all reality Maes head was clouded with the thoughts of the tall man she had come to like very much.

She wasn't sure why she liked him so much. She just did, it was a trivial thing.

It didn't take Mae long to fall fast asleep as her tv show continued to play. She was turned into the cushions and peacefully sleeping when her mother came Downstairs and noticed the sleeping child. She didn't want to disturb her so she put a blanket over her limp body and turned the tv off. 

Her mother headed back up the stairs to get some rest. They had been traveling all day to get back home. Jet lag and a messed up sleep schedule was never a good thing, and- her mother felt, she couldn't parent properly whilst tired.

Not that Mae needed much parenting.

Her parents fell asleep easily and without worry as their daughter was peacefully dreaming about Harry.  Her body scooted closed into the cushions to seek some warmth the blanket didn't provide. She was walking with Harry in a field in her dream, holding his arm tightly as he talked. Of course she couldn't tell what he was saying. These were only faint images her head had put together.

The rings on his fingers caressed her cheek somewhere in a sunflower field. They kissed for a short moment, and she was enjoying the fantasy. Never wanting to wake up from her dream.

But she did, by the same soft lips that had kissed her in her dream. She was pulled back into reality, seeing a head of brown curls trailing down her leg. Sitting up, she saw her sliding glass doors were unlocked and slightly ajar.

"Harry! Was that you?" She whispered.

He peered up at her through his jade orbs, licking his lips.

"Yes."

"What are you doing here so late? My parents could catch you." She scolded. Her fists clutched the blanket that she didn't know she had as panic started to set in. Maybe it was the lack of sleep she got, but she was terrified. Her parents could come down at any given time and see a random man in their living room kissing on their daughters legs.

"I'm being quiet." He reasoned.

She rolled her eyes. Standing to her feet, she gave Harry a quick hug. He was warm, inviting, and of course towering over her but he smelled like alcohol. Like strong whiskey, which her father drank from time to time. Her nose wrinkled.

"Sorry, I was at the bar before I came here." She shrugged, still holding Harry's waist.

His hands caressed her lower back, humming as he saw how small it was. The curve of her waist looked perfect for his hands to be there. In general, Mae was perfect and Harry wished over and over for his hands to touch everywhere- but he often refrained. Not totally, of course. He had to give in to some of his wants or else he would sabotage himself. There were things he wanted to do with- to- Mae but couldn't. She wasn't ready.

The pair pulled away and headed upstairs quietly. Mae was leading the way as she rubbed her tired eyes. Harry's footsteps were almost ghostly silent behind her- like he had done this a million times over.

Mae crawled into her bed, trying to be quiet. The silky sheets welcome her as her back hit them and her head was pulled into her pillow. Her eyes were heavy which made it easy for her to drift off back into her sleep.

Harry stood over her. He pulled the baby pink covers over her chest. He placed a gentle kiss on her forehead, one on her cheek, and then played with the soft curls of hair that were draped over her shoulder. She smiled warmly.

Harry got up from the bed and started to walk across her carpet to the door, trying to be careful with opening it.

"Harry," she called.

"Yes sweetheart?" He turned around.

"I really like you." She murmured, blushing as she fumbled with the covers. Harry smiled at her, feeling a warmth spread through his chest at her confession. He knew what she was trying to say but it came out sort of childish but he thought it was cute.

"I really like you too pretty girl." He said.

The two of them stared at each other for only a few seconds. Mae turned over to hide her blushing face form Harry. She knew it would boost his ego, bigger than it was. She faced her window as she internally squealed with how much joy Harry brought her. She really liked Harry.