2. Responsibility

Siddharth woke up to the sunrise, unable to sleep anymore. He was still tired from the long night and got up from the couch, stretching.

He smiled in self-mockery, realizing the irony! He must've been tired after spending a beautiful night with his wife, but here he is, stretching for a different reason altogether.

Siddharth stepped inside the master bedroom, unlocking the glass door separating the balcony. His eyes involuntarily darted to Avni as he took slow steps towards the washroom. He was in front of her moments later without realizing when his direction of walk changed.

Avni's long hair was all over the sheets and on her face. He would be lying if he said he didn't dream of waking up next to her after their engagement. He found her cute with the comforter fisted in her hands.

Siddharth came out of the trance when he heard her mumbling incoherent words. He marched to the washroom grabbing his track pants, and left the house for jogging.

He returned home and finished reading the newspaper. The clock tick 9 am, but there was no trace of her movements. He was impatient for answers but didn't wish to disturb her.

Siddharth witnessed her sobbing hard last night, and his lips turned up, recalling her uttering his name in her sleep. He was glad that she took his name, relaxing him. The last thing he wanted to hear was her boyfriend's name.

He knew she was stressed and got ready for the office, careful not to disturb her sleep. He prayed to God and opened the refrigerator as his stomach growled in hunger.

Siddharth groaned in annoyance, realizing he had to consume bread and peanut butter like most other days. He enjoyed a delicious Indian breakfast, but he was lazy to cook. He poured himself a glass of mango juice and finished the bread slices.

Siddharth Malhotra entered his thousand-acre tech park in his BMW. As soon as his car came into vision, gates were opened, and the guards saluted him. He parked his vehicle and entered the building, meeting his staff greeting him with their mouths wide open.

He could hear gossip spreading about his arrival just the next day after his marriage. He gritted his teeth and marched into his cabin on the fourth floor. He thanked himself for being super late, meaning more minor suspicions on his married life.

Siddharth urged to shut their mouths with his one glare but chose to be ignorant, not making it an issue.

He drove home late in the evening after a nearly free day. He rushed through his projects and finalized deals before marriage, craving some alone time with his wife.

Siddharth received a call while his car came to a halt in his two-storied independent house. He smiled at the picture on display and answered the call, "Ma, How are you?"

She chuckled, feeling the same affection as every day, and exclaimed dramatically, "What can happen in one day, Kanna?"

His thoughts diverted to last night, and he mumbled to himself, "Life can take a U-Turn!" He quickly composed himself and complained routinely, "I am not a kid anymore, Ma. Stop calling me nicknames!" He could hear his father chuckling.

He knew she would continue calling him 'Kanna,' and he pretended to dislike it. But, His mother knew how much he loved her pampering him like a baby.

He settled on a bench in the garden and stretched his legs, sitting comfortably. They spoke for a while before his mother questioned, "How's Avni doing? Is she alright?"

Siddharth inhaled a deep breath before responding, "She's fine, Ma." He hated lying to his parents.

His mother, Renuka Malhotra, is a sweet lady. His father, Kishore Malhotra, is a gentleman and playful person. They are his most significant support and delight. His younger brother, Nikhil, is a naughty exuberant self. Siddharth is more of an introvert, while Nikhil grabs all attention.