37. Caught you

It's been ten minutes, and none initiated a conversation. Santosh played a game while Avni gazed at the stars. The cool breeze tickled her occasionally.

Silence is beautiful with the right person, as said by Nicholas Sparks. It's pure and holy. Only people who are comfortable with each other understand this great paradox.

Isn't this what she wished all her teenage? To sit next to him on a silent night and hear the music of his heart beating for her. She still dreams of the situation, but the person isn't Santosh anymore. Avni smiled, realizing how Siddharth had replaced Santosh in her every future dream.

There is no space for awkward silence with Siddharth. Even when none uttered a word, their closeness was comfortable. It's not the same with Santosh. She felt strange anxiety and urge to break that unpleasant silence with every passing second.

"How's your family back home?" There she broke it.

"Huh?" Santosh reacted, turning to her. He didn't expect her to speak.

"Your parents? Brother? Is everything good?" She asked, trying to indulge in a regular conversation.

Avni was astonished when he tossed the phone into his pocket. Wasn't he the person who talked to her while watching a movie? It's a shame that she gave him her undivided attention while he bluntly ignored her.

"They're all doing great," He smiled. And they fell into another uncomfortable silence.

"I thought you were against higher studies," Avni hesitated, trying to sound casual.

"Yeah. My parents pushed me," Santosh shrugged. Staying home for a few months messed with his mind, and he fell into a strong influence. After some time, he realized how he understood those religious books in the wrong way and considered attachments useless.

"How are you doing?" Santosh asked, trying to continue the conversation.

"Everything's good. I'm happy," Avni smiled.

"Glad to hear that. Future plans?"

"I have a startup idea that's approved. I have a partnership with Knight Enterprises, and they will try it out for a few months. Based on the results, I might start my own company. And the experience of working in SM helps," She answered in a go.

Avni's eyes sparkled in pride as she spoke. The confidence and clarity are a result of Siddharth's support.

"That's great," Santosh appreciated.

"Seems like your friend is here," Santosh indicated, hearing a car horn and spotting nearby.

"Yeah. Good night," Avni mumbled and proceeded towards the car. Siddharth opened the door for her and adjusted her seat belt.

"Our driver will drive him. No worries," Siddharth answered her unspoken worry. Avni hugged him in response and dozed off without any further doubts. Santosh waited for her, and being concerned is basic manners.

--

Avni yawned, opening her eyes after a deep sleep. She smiled, placing her hand above his on her waist. Their legs were entangled, and his hold on her waist was firm. A small smile played on his lips even in sleep when she ran her fingers along his jawline.

Avni ruffled his hair and kissed his cheeks, admiring his morning charm. She gently blew on his ear after what felt like an eternity, and he twisted in his sleep. She carefully withdrew from his stronghold with incredible difficulty.

Avni tied her loose hair into a bun and picked up the newspaper from the main door. She placed it on the table after quickly reading the headlines and proceeded to the washroom. She grabbed her husband's toothbrush out of habit and started brushing her teeth.