4. Reception

Avni's ring struck one of her dresses as she pulled them. The single-stoned plain diamond ring reminded her of their engagement. He lovingly held her hand and gently pushed the ring into her finger treating her like a delicate doll.

The ring reminded her of Siddharth every morning she rubbed her eyes and took a glimpse of it. She let the tears cascade, unable to control anymore. Her hope is crushed and she's the one at fault.

Siddharth felt a pang in his heart, witnessing her silent tears as he slid the door open to his bedroom. The sight of Avni's tears falling down her cheeks and dumping stuff into her bags, roughly wiping her tears hurt him.

He couldn't decide anything when she expressed what she wished for. He couldn't say 'No' after the past few days and couldn't say 'Yes' to a woman whose heart is filled with someone else.

Siddharth declared in a bold voice, halting her, "We're leaving for Mumbai early in the morning. Pack your bags accordingly."

"We?"

Avni stood confused by his words before he continued, "Our wedding rituals are still pending, and It's our reception tomorrow. We can visit your parents too."

"Will he drop me at my parents' house after that?"

"I can't expect anything more."

"He already tolerated me enough."

"Any other man would've thrown me out that night."

"This is it, Avni!"

Avni fell onto the ground with a thud as Siddharth marched out of the room. She hugged her knees and dozed off due to tiredness.

--

Avni half-opened her eyes, feeling a gentle touch on her cheeks and a peck on her forehead. Avni pouted and shifted into her mother's lap, instantly mumbling, "Please, Amma. Just five more minutes."

"Avni, Wake up," Gowri's eyes glistened as her fingers brushed Avni's hair, who peacefully snuggled more into her lap, hugging her waist.

Avni felt new energy seeping through her, feeling her mother's warmth. She sat rubbing her eyes, greeting her mother, "Good Morning, Amma!"

Gowri exclaimed, rolling her eyes at her daughter's antics, "You're a married woman, Avni. Behave like one" and hit Avni's head lightly. She stood straight, folding the comforter as Avni blinked her eyes a few times, trying to recognize her surroundings.

Gowri helped her out, seeing her princess confused, "You are in your in-laws' home, Avni. Siddharth carried you early in the morning as you were sleeping."

Avni's eyes widened at the mention of Siddharth carrying her and blurted instantly, "Did anyone notice that?"

Gowri chuckled and shook her head in negative, relaxing Avni.

Avni shot her next question lazily, stretching on the bed, "When did you come, Amma? Where's Papa?"

Gowri sighed heavily and answered, opening the window curtains, "We came yesterday. Your in-laws invited us for the reception. Your Dad is downstairs." and added, hurrying, "Now get up, Avni. It's already 6 am, and rituals start in half an hour."

Gowri pushed Avni into the washroom, who acted all lazy and arranged everything for her on the bed as usual. Gowri shook her head at her daughter's irresponsibility in her presence. Avni is usually very organized, but lethargy seeped through her at the sight of her beloved mother.

--

Siddharth was chatting away with his cousins and friends when one of them gasped with her gaze fixed in a particular direction. She exclaimed excitedly to Siddharth, who was facing them, hitting his hand "Bhai, Turn around."