32. The Twist of Life

Avni's heart was burdened at the mention of a very familiar name. As much as she tried ignoring her escalating heartbeat, her anxiety rose. And when she turned towards the exit, there she saw him.

Santosh appeared relatively calm and peaceful, making it even more difficult for her. She couldn't breathe anymore, and her head started spinning. She couldn't lose it now. No! She can't become a fool in front of him out of all the people on earth. She tried appearing as calm as possible, but it wasn't helping.

A phone call diverted her attention just before her senses flew away. She read the name on the phone with great difficulty and answered the call immediately.

"Baby girl," Siddharth whispered, calming her down to a great extent. "Huh," Avni breathed, unable to form words.

"Come down. I'm waiting," Siddharth said and waited on the phone. "Take your first left and press zero on the elevator," He guided step by step. "Everything's alright. I'm here with you. Count with me. 1... 2... 3..." He spoke, not giving her time to think.

Siddharth knew of Avni's tension in new places. She always found it hard to figure out things on her own when left alone without emotional support. He remained on the phone till she reached the parking area.

"Siddharth," Avni spotted him as soon as the elevator opened. She ran into his arms and hugged him tight in a way supporting herself. She needed him the most --even more than oxygen.

The unexpected bone-crushing hug didn't surprise him a bit. He hugged her back and ran his fingers through her hair, whispering sweet nothings. Tears cascaded down her cheeks and wet his shirt, and he stood there, not moving an inch.

"Santosh is here. He..." Avni sniffed in between her sobs after twenty minutes of constant crying.

"You already know?" She asked, studying his face lacking shock.

"I... Yeah. Scarlett sent me the shortlist," Siddharth came up with a convincing answer soon. He doesn't have the strength to declare the entire truth. Not at least now!

"Are you alright now?"

"There is a heavy burden on my chest. It feels as if there are a thousand volcanoes ready to burst but couldn't. I don't know how to let go of my inner turmoil," Avni tried explaining to him her exact feelings.

"I feel like shattering everything around me into pieces and derive peace from the way they break," Avni spoke, fisting her palm. Her knuckles turned white, and her artificial nails started digging into her skin, but she couldn't feel the pain.

"The pain he gave me and the way he treated me..." Avni broke down into tears again as his words rang through her mind. The one person she loved all her teenage treated her the worst.

"You don't deserve a bit of that. I know," Siddharth declared firmly. It brought a strange sense of comfort and peace to her broken heart.

Soft music played in the car as Siddharth drove. Avni leaned onto his shoulder and closed her eyes. Memories played in her mind taking away her peace.

"Avni," Siddharth called, stopping the car.

"This place..." Avni's eyes wandered across her surroundings, trying to recognize the place.

"Come," He said and guided her towards a restaurant.

"Why are we here?" Avni asked, breaking the silence. The place is empty with no tables or chairs. The board outside is the only indication that it's a restaurant.

"Break them hard till you feel okay," Siddharth suggested, pointing towards a table where there were many glass cups of different sizes.

Avni was about to deny, but he cut her off and explained, "Don't worry about ruining things. I will take care. Shatter them in the ugliest way possible."