40. Healing past

I've noticed some new readers on last  update. Do say Hey to me!😁💜

I'm extremely sorry for the late update. Been terribly busy with acads and some unplanned work. Don't be mad at me!

Also, Kindly leave a comment about how you enjoyed the update rather than asking me for an update. It would encourage me to write an interesting chapter. Just a request.

Will reply to your comments on last update later. I'm being super busy with things. Sorry!

___________________

"Are you alright?" Santosh asked, walking into the cabin.

"Huh?" Avni frowned, unable to comprehend where the question was leading. When did he start caring if she was alright? The last time they spoke, he called her feelings bullshit and insulted her in the best way possible.

"You look pale. Lack of sleep?" He repeated, sensing her lost in thoughts.

"No. I'm alright," Avni denied focusing back on her work. She has to prepare notes to address the questions in today's meeting at Marshall's office.

"Here's your file to read. Scarlett suggested both of us go together," Avni handed him a file along with some cookies.

"I made them last night," She answered his unspoken question. Sleep was far away after Siddharth left, and cooking was the only way to keep herself busy. How could she sleep without the warmth of her personal teddy!

"Something's a miss," Santosh commented, tasting them but couldn't pinpoint what lacked.

Avni didn't make them with enthusiasm, and it showed. Cooking is an art that requires interest and calculation. Most people might consider it an art requiring no brain, but that's incorrect. The lack of interest reflects taste, and the miscalculation can ruin the entire dish making it inedible.

"I made it out of boredom," She admitted, and Santosh nodded knowingly.

Avni brightened receiving a text message and read it instantly, "Reached just now. I have an immediate meeting. Will call later." His one message has the power of bringing a smile to her lips and color to her cheeks.

"Shall we leave?" Santosh asked, interrupting her after a while.

"It's too early. Don't you think?"

"Nope. The traffic is high, and it takes time to reach the office," Santosh clarified, and Avni agreed, grabbing her things.

"You didn't have a car last time," She asked, spotting a brand new Toyota car.

"Scarlett came to me with an excellent EMI plan a week ago. The company deducts a small amount from the paycheck. It's way better than hiring a cab every time," He explained in excitement.

Avni learned to read between the lines when it came to her husband. She might not seem a keen observer or anything, but she silently notices. The last time Santosh waited for her a week ago, Siddharth arranged a car for him. He immediately helped Santosh purchase his own vehicle just because he mattered to her. But does he really matter?

"Get in," Santosh said, bringing the engine to life. It took Avni a few moments to decide and settled inside, unable to deny him. The company drivers are busy, and it might take a few minutes to reach the building.

Avni closed her eyes, leaning against the window. For an outsider, she might seem asleep, but her brain is wide awake.

Why does Santosh feel like a stranger after all these years? She still cares for him and has the same amount of concern she once had but love? She wouldn't think about it.