23. Closer

Published a mysterious short story, 'Encounter.' Do check it out if interested:)

_______________________

Avni's eyes wandered across the wedding hall, searching for her dear husband. The priest announced that it was time for seven pheras.

"Looking for me?" Siddharth whispered in her ear from behind, and Avni smiled, turning around. She pulled him to a corner and listened intently to the priest.

Avni looked deep into Siddharth's eyes and entwined their hands as the priest explained the ritual. She couldn't put her heart into what was happening during their marriage, but it's time to renew vows. She wished to fulfill every promise she made during their wedding.

* The groom promises to take care of his bride, children, and the family. In return, the bride undertakes to look after the groom's home and his food.

* The groom promises to protect his bride under all circumstances. In return, the bride promises to stand by her husband through his agonies and ecstasies.

* The groom promises to work hard to earn enough wealth for the family. In return, the bride promises to effectively take care of the income and expenses.

* The groom promises to entrust the responsibility of his household to his bride and respect her wise decisions regarding the same. In return, the bride promises to fulfill her duties to the best of her abilities for a respectful living.

* The groom promises to consult his wife in all crucial matters. In return, the bride promises to support her groom in all his endeavors.

* The groom promises to remain committed and loyal to his bride besides considering her alone as his wife. The bride, in return, promises to stay faithful to her husband.

* The groom promises to lead his entire life with his bride, who is not just his wife but his friend forever. In return, the wife too promises to spend her life with him until the very end.

Avni smiled, realizing how Siddharth has always kept his promises and treated her preciously. Siddharth pulled her closer by her waist, and Avni whispered, standing on her toes, "Let's begin our relationship." 

Siddharth's smile became bright, and his eyes shone as he registered her words moments later. She could sense the happiness engulfing him as if she gave him the most precious gift.

"With pleasure, Wifey!" Siddharth winked.

Avni stared at Ishaan and Piya, wishing the best for them. She smiled when Piya's face glowed with happiness.

"You were the most beautiful bride," Siddharth uttered in a trance, recalling Avni descending the stairs on the day of their wedding. He clearly remembered every moment of the day she became his.

"Is that so?" Avni playfully questioned.

"I missed your smile, though," He spilled even before realizing and instantly regretted it.

"Blame yourself. It was always with you," Avni giggled.

Siddharth was taken aback by her instant reply. Did he hear it right? He couldn't believe it. "Are you implying...?" He couldn't complete as he was scared of attending a 'No.'

Avni quickly scanned her surroundings to check if anyone was noticing. She rested her palm against his cheek and smiled as his day-old stubble tickled her.

Avni's hand grazed his cheek as she stood up on her toes. Siddharth involuntarily held her by her waist, supporting her.

"Yes, Husband. You brought back the happiness I lost," Avni whispered into his ear as her chest collided with his. She blushed furiously as his hot breath hit her neck.