What Goes Up ☁️ (G)

Summary: Spencer breaks the Magician's code for a very adorable exception.

Rating: G

Content Warnings: None!

——————————————————

Life at the BAU was somehow weirder than I'd expected. It wasn't a bad thing, just a little different than what I'd prepared for. The woman I was replacing probably should've been the first sign.

I remembered the first time I walked into her office, noting the extensive number of stuffed animals and bright colors. It felt like I was walking into my old bedroom, not an office for a technical analyst who works for the FBI.

It was... quirky and comforting.

Those were two words that suited most of the goings-on at the office. None more so than the (other) resident genius, who I'd only recently discovered had been in jail a few years prior — not really sure how that happened. Wasn't going to ask him about it just yet, though. Seemed like one of those close-friend conversations.

But since I needed to talk to him, and I had a tendency to blurt out completely inappropriate things whenever he was around (we call that mirroring), I needed something to talk about.

When I had asked Garcia for interesting tidbits about him, the first thing she'd come up with wasn't his IQ, nor how many words per minute he can read. No, it was a very excited and childlike exclamation of 'Oh! He can do magic!'

It was surprising only because the man somehow seemed exactly like the kind of person to learn magic. Like that sweet, innocent persona was really just meant to master sleight of hand.

So, with a twinkle in my eye and a file in my hand, I walked up to Spencer's desk fully prepared to do small talk. That time, I would not look like an absolute idiot staring at him with a confused smile as he told me about the origins of each definition of the word 'spam.'

At least, I thought that until I was standing in front of him, and he was looking up at me with that adorable blank stare.

"Oh, hey!" he said before glancing down at the file in my hands. "That for me?"

"Yes!" I half-shouted, and when he reached for the file, I - for some reason - jerked it away. "But I have a question first."

He gave a nervous laugh and furrowed his eyebrows with a smile.

"Okay?" he asked, "What's up?"

"Okay, well, I'm trying to get to know you all better, right?" I explained, like holding his work hostage was a totally normal thing to do. "So, I asked Penelope for some fun facts about each of you, and I was interested in yours."

His body language quickly shifted to pure anxiety as he licked his lips, clearly trying to think through all the horribly embarrassing details someone like a technical analyst would know about her coworkers.

"I heard... You can do magic."

It was shocking how quickly his demeanor changed, him sitting up and leaning forward towards me with a large grin.

"Oh! Yes. I can."

He was positively beaming with pride, and I had to take a minute to catch my breath at the adorable vision before me.

"Can you... Show me?" I asked with the best puppy dog eyes I could form. He had a faux look of contemplation despite clearly having already made up his mind.

"Hmm... I guess so," he playfully teased. "But you have to turn around first."

Deciding it was best to be a good sport, I spun around on my heels, rocking my body back and forth with excitement as I heard him going through the drawers on his desk. I tried to listen closely and imagined all of the different things that could make the noises I was currently hearing.