Java Jive ☁️ (G)

Summary: Spencer and Emily take a break at the local coffee shop and she makes an understandable mistake about barista Reader and Spencer's relationship.

Rating: G

Content Warning: None!

——————————————————

We all have our way to unwind. For me, that process has always involved a good cup of coffee, opposed to the stale instant coffee kept at most stations. It also has almost always included a book or some other type of reading material.

But most of all, for almost the entirety of my existence, it involved being alone.

That remained true even through many years at the BAU, which is arguably one of the most difficult jobs out there when it came to relative exposure to traumatic experiences. It remained true through multiple kidnappings, addiction, and heartbreak.

The only thing, it seemed, that could break my terrible habit of self-isolation was her. It was (y/n).

I don't know why. Maybe it was just something about how it felt the first time she looked at me that my brain couldn't let go of. Maybe it was because her job at the cafe meant she always smelled like my favorite thing in the world. Maybe it was her smile or her laugh or the way she never made me feel like I didn't belong.

I don't know what it was, but no matter what happened, I always preferred her company to being alone.

The drive to see her became so common, so overwhelming, that when a case left us back at Quantico in the middle of the day, I had to see her. Routine be damned. It didn't matter to me that I wasn't even alone yet, or that it would cause my two seemingly separate worlds to collide.

I just had to see her.

Emily was none the wiser of what this coffee run meant to me. I hadn't actually thought to tell her, considering I had no idea whether (y/n) would actually be working. If she wasn't, then it wouldn't matter, and I could at least enjoy a better cup of coffee than I would have had at work.

But, sure enough, fate was on my side (or not, depending on who you asked). Because as soon as we stepped inside, I heard her laughter fill the bustling room. She hadn't spotted me yet, but I didn't mind. I actually liked the chance to see into her world. She seemed so different around me, and I still hadn't figured out if it was a good thing or not.

"Is something wrong, Reid?"

My head actually shook as I jumped back to reality. Emily stood a few steps ahead, having moved forward with the line while I stood and stared dumbly ahead.

"No, sorry. I just zoned out."

She accepted my answer, but only barely. I saw the suspicion creeping over her features as her eyes stuck to mine. But I wasn't looking back. I was still staring ahead, lost in thoughts of what to say when it was finally my turn.

I was never good at coming up with words around her. She never seemed to mind. In a weird way, I sort of think she liked when I rambled. But that couldn't be true, right? But then why did her face light up almost immediately when she saw me?

"Spencer!" (Y/n) cheered over the grinding of machines. Usually the added noise would make the tiny, crowded cafe atmosphere unbearable, but at that moment, it felt like there was nothing else in the world but her.

"Hey," I answered dreamily. At first, that was all I said. But after a strange wayward glance from Emily, I continued, "It's busy this time of day."

"Yeah, not everyone works your weird hours," she giggled. Like myself seconds prior, her eyes flickered over to the dark-haired woman at my left.

"I'm assuming you'll have your usual, but what about your... friend?"