Sharks & Symbiosis ☁️ (PG)

Summary: Spencer helps Reader through her time of the month, and ends up talking way too much about fish.

Rating: PG (13+)

Content Warning: Menstruation, mentions of sexual relationships

——————————————————

The beginning of a relationship is always strange. People always refer to the start as the 'honeymoon phase,' but I'd hoped my honeymoon would be significantly less awkward than those first few weeks where we could finally start being ourselves... Kind of.

Spencer and I had started dating a couple weeks ago, and he'd only been to my house a couple of times before. The last time he had been here was the first time we'd finally, actually slept together. Don't get me wrong – that hadn't been awkward at all. In fact, everything about it had been absolutely perfect; better than anything I could have hoped for.

... Which was why that night was so incredibly awkward. He'd surprised me with a visit after returning home from a case. Normally, I would have loved the unexpected chance to see him.

But today also happened to be the second day of my period, and I felt like absolute garbage.

It wasn't like he had explicitly said he planned on staying over. He hadn't brought an overnight bag or anything of the sort. But things were different now that we'd slept together. It just felt like the natural conclusion to a night.

And even though I knew it was totally natural and safe and everything, I wasn't loving the idea of having period sex. It didn't matter how many times someone told me that it was good for cramps – I wasn't interested.

While I knew that eventually I would have to talk to Spencer about it, or at least be more open about it, it just felt so strange to bring it up so soon into the relationship. Another problem was that despite all the reservations, my libido was through the fucking roof. Literally every time he touched me, I felt like I was going to explode.

All of these thoughts and concerns were wildly spinning in my mind to the soundtrack of the bullshit movie we'd put on in the background. Since Spencer had already seen it before, he'd joked that he didn't need to look at the screen to watch it. I didn't fight back when he'd kissed me, mostly because I'd really wanted to kiss him.

But that kissing quickly escalated, and before I knew it I was already on my back on the couch. Eventually, his hand started to roam down my side before settling at my hip.

I immediately jumped at the contact, grabbing his hand and pulling it back up to my chest in a heartbeat.

Spencer paused. He pulled back from the kiss to see the anxiety plastered on my face.

"Is something wrong?"

He was using that voice that meant he already knew the answer.

"Um... No?"

He didn't buy it in the slightest, and was resisting my attempts to bring him back down into our embrace.

"What's wrong?"

"It's nothing!" I blurted out, shimmying under him in something vaguely resembling a tantrum.

"I don't believe you," he responded without any hesitation, carefully scrutinizing the way I was completely avoiding his gaze.

"You know what, you're right," I conceded immediately. I pushed him away so that I could climb out from underneath him and was almost annoyed when he let me.