All Mixed Up ☁️ (G)

Summary: Dyslexic!Reader struggles to order at the restaurant, so Spencer helps them through it.

Rating: G

Content Warning: Crying, dyslexia, internalized shame, embarrassment

—————————————————

There were so many things about Spencer that seemed too good to be true. From the moment I met him — a pretty embarrassing moment, truth be told — I knew that he was special. If you'd asked me why, I would have to sit down and think about the reasons because there would be too many to rattle off at once.

I didn't know much about him, but I knew enough. The things that felt like they mattered.

He was kind, funny, patient... and really, really cute.

That was never more obvious to me than when we finally had a chance to go on our very first real date. Completely in line with how I perceived him, Spencer had chosen the tiniest little local cafe. Even having lived in the city for as long as I had, I'd never even noticed it.

It seemed like a good metaphor for the two of us.

As I took my seat, I watched as he struggled to stay still. I don't think he noticed me noticing the way he shifted his chair to be just a little bit closer to me. Not enough to be awkward, but enough to satisfy his proximity preference.

"You're a dork," I casually announced, unable to retain the commentary any longer.

"Is it really a bad thing that I want to be closer to you?"

"Not a bad thing," I explained with a chuckle, "Just dorky."

It was a normal day, a normal interaction. Normal in every sense of the word, just how I liked things to be.

Unfortunately, they didn't stay that way for long.

"If it isn't our favorite boy genius!" the older waitress cheered from across the small dining area, "How are you sweetheart?"

"I'm good, how are you?" he answered with a familiarity that almost made me jealous of the middle-aged woman who could also elicit a smile.

"Just wonderful, thanks," she sighed once she finally made her way to us. She glanced over at me with a warm, comforting smile. But it was also one that hid just a little bit of judgment, like my presence surprised her for some reason.

"Are you going to introduce us?"

Spencer had been waiting for it, though. He was very happy to announce, "This is (y/n)."

"Hey there, sweetheart. I'm Cheryl."

"Oh! Spencer's told me about you," I said as soon as I realized. But my mind was still stuck on the initial interaction. It struck me because it seemed an odd nickname for the man I knew.

So, I asked.

"Boy genius, though? What's the story behind that?"

The man across the table shifted uncomfortably in his seat. His cheeks took on a strange pinkness at the same time his shoulders rounded, and his hands wiggled in his lap.

"Don't tell me you don't know who you're sitting with?" she laughed, "I've seen this boy read an entire encyclopedia before I even finished brewing the coffee."

"Oh... really?" I asked, waiting for a punchline that wasn't going to come. Waiting for Spencer to deny the story and explain the real one.

But he didn't. He just flashed an awkward smile and let the other woman continue.