Impromptu ☁️ (PG)

Summary: Reader learns some shocking news when a case lands her in the hospital.

Rating: PG (13+)

Content Warning: Hospitals, pregnancy, concussions, weight gain

——————————————————

There were few things I enjoyed less about my job than foot chases. For starters, I'd never really been a 'runner.' Give me a gun and I could do some serious damage, but chasing after grown men through city streets? It'd never been my thing.

The unfortunate thing, then, about partnering with my boyfriend was that Spencer Reid was an even worse runner than me. Seriously, the man's pretty much half legs and he still had the coordination of a goddamn unmanned firehose. So when it came to me, Spencer, and a foot chase, it was up to me. I would use the abysmal amount of brute force I had while he used his memory to find all the shortcuts in the map we'd seen the day before.

Which is how I ended up alone in the middle of an alleyway, staring at the brick wall ahead of me with no sign of the person I'd been chasing. I clutched my gun tightly while my lungs struggled to fill within the confines the bulletproof vest. The same one that, as much I hated to admit it, seemed to be getting tighter each time I put it on.

Spencer had mentioned my change of appetite, but... Could it really be that noticeable? I shook my head, trying to return to the current potentially life-threatening situation instead of worrying about my weight. But even the action of shaking my head made me dizzy, and before I knew it there were heavy footsteps behind me.

I prayed that it was Spencer catching up to me, but in my heart, I knew it wasn't. I was intimately familiar with the sound of his footsteps, and those that were fast approaching me were entirely too loud and too silent at once.

I spun around, bracing myself for the body I was fully expecting to run into me at that point. And sure enough, it was only a matter of seconds before the man barreled into me with his whole body.

But the pain of approximately two hundred pounds crashing into me was nothing compared to the way my skull smacked into the pavement. Luckily, I had managed to move enough that my shoulder took the brunt of the impact, but it didn't stop the wave of frantic stars and blackness taking over my vision.

"(Y/n)!"

Spencer sounded so close yet so far away; my name in his panicked voice echoed through my mind while I tried to get the world to stop spiraling around me. The next thing I heard was the sound of gunshots cracking through the alley, followed by the pained groans of the same man I'd been chasing.

"I got him!"

Emily? When did she get here?

"(Y/n), are you alright?" Spencer's voice broke through the delirium, his soft hands cupping my face as he gingerly lifted me off the ground and onto his lap.

"I think that stupid bastard gave me a fuckin' concussion," I spat, my vision continuing to spin and nausea rocking my stomach.

Spencer's laugh was a mixture of relief and concern, his hand searching for the point of impact on my head.

"Well, at least you've still got that mouth of yours," he joked, clearly referencing my colorful vocabulary.

But it wasn't entirely my fault— I definitely had a concussion, which was the perfect excuse for lowered inhibitions.

Suddenly my vision was blinded by the light on his phone.

"Spencer, what the fuck!" I whined, struggling under his hand on my chin while he carefully observed my pupils.