Painting by Numbers ☁️ (G)

Summary: Spencer is still a little worried about his pregnant wife painting the house.

Rating: G

Content Warning: Pregnancy

——————————————————

There was something relaxing about painting. As much hard labor as it was to tape, prime, and paint a room, I never grew tired of it. I'd have changed the color of my childhood bedroom a hundred times if I could have.

That being said, it was a lot harder when you were nearly six months pregnant.

I still tried to enjoy it. I tried not to let myself get too focused on the ache in every inch of my body. Instead, I focused on how the lavender smeared over the white primer. The color alone sent butterflies through my stomach, a smile spreading across my face at the first line on a new wall.

"Someone's been busy while I've been gone..."

Spencer's voice shook me from my reverie, and I jumped with a shout as I dropped the roller that I was holding.

"You weren't supposed to be home yet!" I quickly explained, leaving the roller on the plastic lining below me. I couldn't pick it up even if I wanted to in my current state.

That was okay, though. My husband carefully navigated the buckets of paint, making his way over to me and picking it up for me.

"And you aren't supposed to be painting by yourself," he chastised. Spencer placed a gentle kiss on my forehead after a cluck of his tongue, but nonetheless handed me back the tool I'd been using.

"I stayed ground level!" I pointed out with a wave of my hand to demonstrate what I meant. About halfway up the wall, the paint had abruptly stopped. Cocking my hip to the side, I proudly proclaimed, "There's not even a ladder in here."

The sneaky smile on his face told me I wasn't out of the doghouse yet. He nodded, noting the absence of ladders and the very obvious cutoff where my arms could no longer reach.

"Hmmm," he hummed, reaching for a clean roller on one of the chairs in the middle of the room. "I also see a very interesting color on our walls..."

There it was.

We'd spent hours talking about what color to paint the nursery. After the conversation ended, we hadn't actually made a final decision. Spencer had gotten whisked away to work and I was just sitting at home bored.

So, I'd made an executive decision. It just happened to also be one he'd argued against a few days prior.

Oops?

"Okay, I know you said babies can't really see colors for the first five months but— get this," I started, waving the still wet roller around. I was already practically covered in paint, so it was pointless to even bother trying to stop the few speckles that shook off. "They said that cool tones like purples can both energize and calm the baby. It's the best of both worlds, right? It'll lower their blood pressure and heart rate, and it's supposed to even help them sleep! Plus, it's gender neutral and it's your favorite color."

Spencer had patiently waited until I finished my mini rant, a strange pride in his eyes at the way I'd taken on his mannerisms.

"Oh really? My favorite?"

He said it sarcastically, but then he actually took a minute to stare into the bucket beside him. His eyebrows furrowed and his mouth puckered up like they always did when he was trying to recall a memory.