Opposing Counsel 🔥 (E)

Summary: Spencer runs into his childhood rival at trial for a case. Now that they're older, they found a new way to resolve their differences.

Rating: Explicit (18+ ONLY)

Content Warning: Fingering, penetrative sex, hate fucking, courtroom proceedings, death penalty/institutionalization mention

——————————————————

No matter how much time I spend in courtrooms, they have never felt comfortable. They are, by nature, brimming with the worst kind of energy. It is impossible to not feel the pain that flows from all of their openings, and the way the walls scream with the combative words in proverbial fights to the death. Or, in some cases, literal fights to the death - just like the one I was currently winding up.

"You may read the verdict."

When the judge gave the instruction, I didn't look at the jury. I didn't need to look at them anymore because their sympathy from this point on was useless to me. They had already made their decision, and I was confident it would be the right one.

It was.

"We, the jury, find the defendant not guilty of murder in the first degree by reason of insanity."

"So say you all?" The judge drawled as almost imperceptible whispers spread through the courtroom like a virus.

"Yes, your honor."

Those whispers, the blend of the extremes of the spectrum of human emotion, haunted me every day. I heard them any time my brain tried, although you wouldn't know from looking at me. Lawyers have to be heartless, you see. There is no other way for the system to work. We must defend the evil and the cruel, just in case they are innocent. And if you have a job like mine, then you have to force yourself not to care even if you know they aren't innocent. The law doesn't punish criminals; the law punishes those who get caught in a web they cannot wiggle free from.

My job security will always be bad timing, bad people, and law enforcement's penchant for overzealousness. Any agent who pretends like their ineptitude isn't responsible for the freedom of bad men is a liar. It is the kind of lie that will burn like acid that leaks from your tongue and fingertips. That's why lawyers like me have built a layer of callouses and scar tissue, so that when they spew their venom, it doesn't hurt like it should.

Spencer Reid already knew this about me. He was a profiler, after all. He had to know about the dynamics of defense attorneys and what is required of our psyches. Not only did he know that this was true because of the fact that I sat in front of him and behind the defendant's table, he knew this because the two of us were far from strangers. I'd known him all my life, and not much had changed about my psychology since we'd seen each other last.

Spencer Reid knew I was a heartless bitch, but that didn't stop him from leaning over the bar separating me from the spectators and whispering, "Do you have any idea what you've done?"

"Yes," I whispered back, not letting him see the smile that took over my face, "I've won."

"Court is adjourned."

——————————————————

My office received a call the next morning that didn't surprise me in the slightest. He introduced himself as an old friend who was looking to make an appointment to see me. Despite not having an availability, I told my secretary to schedule time for Spencer on my lunch break. While some might believe I made that decision because it was my only free time, that wasn't the main motivation. I chose lunch because the other employees wouldn't be there.