3"

"Igor, Valentina, you're late", their mother Oksana Karkaroff stated, looking at her children with displeasure, "Igor, fix yourself and look presentable" she said looking over his wrinkled cloak

"Igor, Valentina, you're late", their mother Oksana Karkaroff stated, looking at her children with displeasure, "Igor, fix yourself and look presentable" she said looking over his wrinkled cloak. Her attention moved from her oldest son to her daughter. Valentina stood confidently, holding her mother's gaze while she scrutinised her appearance. Valentina took pride of her appearance, making sure she always looked her best. It was what her parents expected and Valentina would not disappoint her family. Though they argued a lot she'd do anything to protect her family name.

"Head up to both of your rooms" Ivan Karkaroff, their father ordered, not even greeting his children, "the house elves will take up your luggage. We have people to meet this evening. I expect nothing but the best form you both, do not disappointed me. Igor, afterwards there is a meeting with our Lord, Valentina your are to come straight home after the ball is finished. Do you understand?"

"Yes Father" Valentina nodded

"Of course Father" Igor agreed

"Good, go on, off you go"

As Valentina made her way up to her new bedroom she took her time to look around the house. It was smaller than their manor in Bulgaria, less roomy. It lacked the fresh air of the mountains and wasn't as cold. Though there was still several similarities, it was still dark, still ominous and empty.

Pushing the solid door to her bedroom open she pulled off her gloves and threw them onto the dressing table beside her.

Her bedroom was lighter than the other rooms and corridors, she figured her mother had done it up for her; she always was her mother's favourite child. A king size bed was centrally against the wall with a large wardrobe on the right hand wall. A large window took up the opposite wall to the bed, cream curtains billowing in the wind from the window that had been left open. She liked her room, it was... pretty. Not as nice as her room back home but liveable. On the armchair beside the dressing table a silk dress laid across the arm, a pair of heels on the floor next to it, jewellery laid across the dressing table. Her mother loved to play dress up with Valentine. Though Valentina never complained, she loved the beautiful dresses she'd have made, she more hated the socialising she had to do while wearing them.

She scoffed as she picked up the dress. Her mother always made her wear a silk dress, the type that would cling to your body yet flow elegantly. Her mother would insist that no other dress would do and that silk was class and elegance.

Admiring her reflection in the full length mirror she fluffed her hair a little, slipped her heels on and checked her make up before Oksana called her down ready to leave.

"Quickly, we don't want to be late" Oksana hurried grabbing Valentina by the wrist.

With a pop the family of four disappeared into the night sky and landed outside a town house in Muggle London.

"I expect you both to behave appropriately. We are at the Blacks residence, show Walburga and Orian respect otherwise there will be consequences for when we return home. Do you understand?"

Valentina nodded alongside Igor who also agreed.

"Let's go inside" Oksana said rapping on the black solid door.

The Blacks household was much like the karkaroffs new house. The same obnoxious interior and same portraits of family members.

"Ivan, Oksana, I'm glad you could make it" Walburga Black smiled tartly as she opened the door, "do come inside"

Most of the time Valentina tried to keep her self to herself, only speaking when spoken to. So she stood in the corner of the room, a drink in her hand, swirling it disinterestedly, watching Igor chat with Lucius and Narcissa Malfoy and Bellatrix Lestrange, that was until she stopped Walburga heading her way.

Valentina pasted on her best faux smile and greeted her politely, "Mrs Black, thank you for having us, your house is beautiful"

The woman's face was cold but her lips switched. She'd hadn't mastered the fake sugary smile same as Valentina, "thank you Valentina, it is a pleasure to have you all. I hear you're going to be heading to Hogwarts this September, I offer my sympathy, I'm sure you'd of rather of stayed at Durmstrang"

"Oh I don't mind it. My family's here to serve our Lord and we can best help here" Valentina's calculated answer seemed to be the right one, "I hear you have two sons attending Hogwarts", this however was not the right thing to say. Walburgas face seemed to turn into one of rage.

"I have only one son, Regulus, he is in the year below you I believe"

"Oh I'm terribly sorry-"

"Sirius is no longer my son, he's besmirched the name of the ancient house of Black! He is a Muggle lover and a traitor. There is no place for him in this house"

Valentina knew she was playing with fire but she was interested in this Sirius character, "could he perhaps be persuaded? Guided back onto the right path"

Walburga remained silent of a beat, her nose upturned and lips pursed.

"You're a very pretty girl Valentina. Classy and pure blood, and you will be in the same year as my son. Perhaps you could help... guide him back onto the right path. Help restore our family name"

Valentina glanced over towards her father who was stood on the other said of the room with a look on his face that said, don't mess up.

"Of course Mrs Black, I'll try my best. You can count on me"

"Delightful" Walburga said, no enthusiasm in her voice, "oh, this is son Regulus. Regulus!" She waved

Valentina watched a tall skinny boy with wavy black hair and cool blue eyes wander over, wearing a perfectly pressed shirt and fancy dress robes, "Regulus, this is Valentina Krakaroff, she'll be joining you at Hogwarts, Valentina, this is Regulus Black"

"It's nice to meet you" Regulus said politely, placing a kiss to Valentina's hand. Regulus had evidently been trained to meet new people, it was forced and practised

"It's my pleasure" Valentina smiled politely back, internally she just wanted to scream in Walburgas face and tell her she didn't care and didn't want anything to do with her scheming involving her son, but she contained herself.

"Now you two have formerly met I have business to attend to. Regulus, introduce Valentina to the other Hogwarts students"

"Yes mother"

Valentina laid back in her bed at the Karkaroff residence, thinking about the evening and what her time at Hogwarts would be like.

She'd met several Hogwarts students, some boy in Regulus' year named Evan Rosier who permanently seemed to wear a ugly snarl, a boy in her year named Severus Snape who had long black greasy hair what was slicked back and had a hooked nose and another named Mulciber who had a set of yellow wonky teeth who seemed to flirt with her shameless, the thought made her shiver in disgust. Regulus seemed to be the only good looking boy there and Valentina found herself wishing they were not Hogwarts finest.

She was even more angry about Walburga's stupid favour. How on earth could she convince her Muggle loving son to join Voldemort and the death eaters. She just wanted to get through her last two years of school quickly and stress free. But Valentina knew better than that.