26"

Valentina followed Sirius down the corridor of the castle

She was cold and shivering but Sirius had pretended not to notice.

"this way" he whispered

He had led her through the castle and into the kitchens.

Her eyes widened in awe.

Even in the late hours of the night the house elves bustled around, frantically trying to cook all of the food for breakfast the next morning.

Sirius had wandered off and returned with a singular cup of green tea.

"here, drink this"

Valentina eyed him suspiciously.

"I'm not trying to poison you karkaroff" he rolled his eyes, " you just looked like you really need it"

"You're always so charming" She replied sarcastically taking a sip.

the warm tea warmed her throat and seemed to thaw her from the inside out.

Sirius himself had opted for a hot chocolate and Valentina had followed him out of the kitchen and to the astronomy tower.

"what are we doing here?" Valentina asked, taking a seat next to him on the ledge.

It was a long way down.

"best view in all of Hogwarts" Sirius replied simply, leaning back on his hands, his mug on the floor beside him

"I never thought of coming up here just for the view" said valentina, taking a sip of her tea

"And keep it that way. This is my spot" Sirius replied making Valentina laugh

Sirius smiled back at her, experiencing a strange feeling which came from making her laugh.

Valentina looked tired and sad. It was obvious to Sirius but he knew for a fact that it was not obvious to Valentina's "friends". Whether that was the fault of them or merely just Valentina completing a perfect acting job. Sirius could tell.

Yet she was still beautiful.

Sirius recalled a conversation he'd had with James a few weeks back. James had pointed out that Valentina was in fact a very beautiful girl. Sirius had pointed out that she was still in fact a Slytherin and therefore no amount of beauty could ever make up for that.

It was too bad, he thought to himself.

Valentina had flitted around asking Sirius the question but she was cautious.

Sirius looked at her carefully, he could tell there was something she wanted to say.

He was strangely good at knowing when something was bothering her.

"come out and say it" He said

"Why'd you leave home?"

A few minutes of silence hung in the air.