16"

Potions with the Gryffindors had quickly circled back around and Valentina had once again found herself sat next to Sirius Black in silence while Professor Slughorn informed the class of the several potions set out in front of them

"in front of you, are three potions" Slughorn said, as the students all moved forward and gathered around the cauldrons, "any ideas what these might be"

The rest of the class peered interestedly into them, chatting and looking at each other in curiosity.

Valentina glanced to Sirius out of the corner of her eye, he didn't seem interested, too busy winking at a blonde girl in a Gryffindor tie.

Lily Evans hand shot up along with Severus', they gave each other a glance and both quickly diverted their eyes.

James potter looked irritable.

"Veritaserum, a truth telling serum. Polyjuice potion and... amortentia" Lily answered, "smelling differently to each person on what attracts them"

"Very good Miss Evans" Slughorn said happily, "if you would all like to form a line and you can all have a go at what you each smell. but, it is important to remember it does not create actual love, mere infatuation"

Valentina suddenly had become more interested, many this potion was her way of fulfilling Walburga Blacks wish. She'd be sure to be in the families good books and therefore by extension have more support for her family and their rankings below the dark lord.

James potter and Sirius had pushed to the front of the queue, followed by Remus lupin and Peter.

Valentina joined the back of the queue along with Cordelia who looked completely uninterested.

James Potter had gone first and very quickly turned to Lily Evans to give her a smirk making the ginger haired girls cheeks turn pink in embarrassment.

Sirius was up next.

He turned to the blonde gryffindor and smirked, making her giggle and turn to her friends.

Valentina and Cordelia looked to each other in disgust and rolled their eyes.

Sirius returned to his desk, looking a little put out.

It had quickly become Valentina's turn and she took a deep breath.

She smelt the perfume she wore daily which was given to her by her mother, the freshly baked goods from the kitchen of her home in Bulgaria and her shampoo which was sweet and fruity.

Returning to her desk, Slughorn had continued with his lesson.

"Today you will be preparing the Draught of living death, one drop of it brewed correctly would kill us all. Turn to page 67 to find your instructions and ingredients are all displayed on my desk infront of you. Get to work"

Valentina grabbed enougth ingredients for both her and Sirius, placing them on the table.

"that is where you would normally say thank you" Valentina said, flicking to the correct page in the text book

Sirius rolled his eyes and lowered his voice, "just because i'm helping you doesn't mean we are friends" he whispered

Valentina looked put out, "you thought i wanted to be friends"

a smile pulled on her lips and a short sweet laugh escaped her lips.

Sirius just scoffed and attempted to put the bean which was supposed to go into their potions.

Valentina watched him struggle, it flying everywhere and slipping under the knife.

She, herself, was having difficulty. Looking to Severus her eyes widened as she saw him half way through the ingredients.

Severus, catching her eyes, mouthed, "you crush them"

Valentina nodded and smiled back mouthing, "thank you"

"how are you doing that?" Sirius asked, mildly annoyed

"I don't know, it just worked" she shrugged, "keep trying and I bet you will get there"

Sirius just once again rolled his eyes.

Severus and Lily had both finished their potions at the end of the lesson, most students not even half way through.

As professor Slughorn dismissed the students, Valentina had hung back. She needed to know what professor slughorn was going to do with the amortentia.

As she packed away her things slowly, James Remus and Peter met Sirius at the door.

She decided to eavesdrop.

"Come on mate, what was it?"

"Cherry, I think"

"you think?"

"yeah, it was hard to tell"

Valentina raised an eyebrow to herself as she packed her bag, her eyes still down.

She had watched professor Slughorn pour the contents of the pot into a small vial and place it into his personal store behind his desk.

Valentina had needed that vial.

Asking Sirius to help her was risky and he hated her. He wouldn't hesitate to go straight to Dumbledore if he was onto valentina's plan. Not only that, she was desperate to get into the good books of the Black family, being one of the largest supporting families of her dark lord.

Valentina needed Sirius to like her.