85"

November 1st 1981

November 1st 1981

Valentina awoke with a fright at the sound of someone pounding on her door. She had no idea how she had managed to get to sleep. For the past week or so she had tossed and turned relentlessly and was running on merely an hour or two's worth of sleep. How could she possibly sleep?

Casper had not returned home. He had shortly been captured by Aurors and was awaiting trial at the ministry, which was due to commence later that day. Valentina's brother, Igor, his trial was also later that day and Sirius Black, the man Valentina thought she would always love, had betrayed them all, shipped off to Azkaban, never to see the light of day.

So how could she possibly sleep?

The bang at the door sounded again and Valentina peeled herself from her bed, wrapping her robe around herself tighter and quickly going down the stairs.

She pulled the door open to find Cordelia outside.

Cordelia looked absolutely terrible. Her eyes were red and puffy and her hair seemed frizzy and untamed. It was so unlike her usual dark ringlet.

"Valentina" she said through a shaky voice, "I am so sorry to just turn up"

"Delia, what is it?" she said worriedly

"Its Evan... he's dead"

Valentina reeled backwards in shock.

Valentina had sat Cordelia down in the parlour and lit the fire, giving her a mug of tea.

Ivan was still asleep in his crib and Valentina was more than thankful.

"what happened Delia?" Valentina asked, watching the woman as she took a sip of her tea

"They came for him and he couldn't get away. He-he struggled and put up a fight and- and now he's dead!"

Valentina had never seen Cordelia show such emotion. Perhaps she did indeed love Rosier.

"By whom?" Valentina asked

"Alaster Moody"

Valentina took her hand hand gave it a soft squeeze. There was nothing else she could do for her friend.

"he deserved to die, I just.."

Valentina looked at her in confusion

"Just what?" she pressed

"Our son, Blaise, he's... he's not Evans son. I-I don't know who's he is" Cordelia sobbed out, "There's been so many men and I just thought that having Evan around would be good for him... to have a father figure... but, but he's gone and now Blaise won't have a father and I just don't know what to do!"

Valentina smiled encouragingly, she understood all too well.

"You are and will be a brilliant mother to Blaise" she said, "And there will be others. You will remarry Cordelia, and Blaise will have a father figure. And if it turns out he does not, then I am sure you will do an excellent job on your own"