53"

Avery and Valentina walked through the halls of the castle in the dark

Avery and Valentina walked through the halls of the castle in the dark. Avery grasped the Diadem under his arm within a satchel as they made their way to Ravenclaw tower.

Valentina felt like she was doing something bad. She thought about it more deeply, she was doing something wrong. One way or another she was doing the dark lords bidding.

Avery didn't seem to have any reservation about the whole situation. Valentina supposed it wasn't shocking, he was a death eater afterall. 

"are you excited about the wedding?" he asked casually

Valentina lifted her eyes from the floor to look at him.

Avery sighed in annoynace, "look Valentina, I know you didn't want to get married this early and I know that after graduation you would much rather go and get a job and whatnot before we even announce an engagement, but this is how it is. It makes sense. I like you, you like me, so why not? You'll have an easy life" he shrugged, "I've saved you"

Valentina hated that it was true. Avery had saved her.

"I can see it in your eyes, you don't want to become a death eater. I've saved you from that fate"

"I know that" Valentina said quietly, "and I appreiciate what you've done for me Casper"

Valentina was being truthful. She appreciated the fact that Avery had saved her from that life. But it didn't mean that she was overjoyed with their situation.

"we're here now" Avery said as he reached the floor board he had found the diadem, the same place valentina had hidden it for him to find.

"Don't you think we should hide it elsewhere?" Valentina suggested

Avery gave her a confused look.

"Its just that if you found it, someone else could"

Avery looked appauled at the suggested he was not the only person capable of finding such item in the same place.

Valentina shrugged, "I just mean, you found it. We need a place no one will find it"

Avery considered it for a while before nodding.

"have you got any ideas?" he asked

Valentina nodded, "I can hide it. It will be better if only one of us knows where it is. Less liability" she said

Avery looked at her carefully.

"I have the perfect place" she continued, "Trust me"

Avery considered it for a few minutes before agreeing. If Valentina had the perfect space, it made sense for her to know its location alone. The more people who knew where it was hidden, the less well hidden it was.

"Fine", he said. He thought he could trust Valentina, "do you want me to wait for you while you hide it? we can walk back together"

"That's alright" Valentina said, "I'll be fine walking back to the common room on my own"

Avery nodded and squeezed her hand in a goodbye before turning and walking back to the Slytherin common room.

Valentina waited until he was out of sight, turning on her heels and heading to the room of requirements. As far as she knew the only people who knew of the room itself was her, Sirius, James, Remus, Peter , the Dark Lord and most probably Dumbledore. It was by far the best hiding place in the castle, with the endless piles of rubbish.

The inside was just as she remembered it. Piles and piles of junk was stacked ontop of each other. Everytime she went in there she was terrified one would collapse on her and suffocate or crush her to death.

Valentina pulled out the Diadem from the bag and took a minute to look at it.

She looked at her reflection in one of the large shimmering sapphire.

Rubbing her eyes she sighed. Her skin looked far too pale and her eyes had deep bags underneath them. Valentina had never considered what the immense pressure and stress she had recenetly felt had been doing to her appearence. She felt utterly pathetic. It was almost like something had been sucking the happiness, health and life out of her body.

"It's a wonder Avery, who's a terrible person is is love with you, nevermind Sirius" she said to her own reflection harshly, "you're so pathetic"

Valentina did feel pathetic. She couldn't choose.

All she had to do was pick.

It was simple.

The Dark Lord or her own life.

Placing the diadem on the floor she took a step backwards, pulling her wand out from her robes.

She hoped Sirius would be proud of her for what she was about to do.

When she'd completed it, she'd go straight to him. She'd tell him that she wants to run away and never go back. Once she'd done it, she'd be a good person. Once She'd done it, she'd be good enough for Sirius.

With shaking hands she raised her wand, pointing it at the diadem.

She took a deap breath.

"reducto!"

The spell hit the diadem with a flash of light and Valentina took a step closer to see the damage. Instead, she furrowed her eyebrows in confusion. It hadn't even caused a scratch.

She raised her wand again.

"Muffliato" she said, concerned about anyone who may be able to hear the large bang she was about to produce "Bombarda! Bombarda maxima!"

Valentina removed her hands from her ears. She was astonished.

The diadem had managed to remain just as it was.

"what?" she whisperd to herself in disbelief, "thats not possible"

She raised her wand again, "confringo!"

Nothing whatsoever. perhaps she was going about it all wrong.

"Alarte Ascendare"

The Diadem went flying up into the air several metres, surpassing the tops of the towering pillars of rubbish which surrounded her. It came hurtling back down and hit the floor with a clunk, bouncing away from her.

Curiously, Valentina walked up to it, picking it up and inspecting it.

It didn't even look like it had been touched. She brought it up to her level, squinting closely at it. Now she was properly studying it, it wasn't like any other diadem or tiara. It almost felt alive. Valentina swore she could hear it whispering to her if she listened carefully. Valentina hoped it wasn't alive as the killing curse's incanation flitted across her mind.

"strange" she said, turning it around her hands.

Deciding that it was no use tonight, she put it back into its box and put it on the top of a wooden cabinet. She draped a coil of rope over the top of it to shelter it from the view of any person who may enter, but not too much making her unable to find it again herself.

Valentina knew she needed to take a trip to the library. She wanted to find out what it actually was.

——————————
A/N
i wrote this on my laptop and I hated it. I usually write on my phone but I got my nails done and they're too long and I can't type. I asked the man doing them if I could have them shorter and he just said, "no".
I was like... ok, sorry I asked pal.
So yeah, sorry if there is typos xx