46"

Valentina had been absolutely miserable for the following few weeks

Sirius, as he promised, had not attempted to speak to her but Valentina had caught his stare several times, him instantly turning away as Valentina had caught him.

For Valentina, Hogwarts had never been lonelier.

She spent her time studying for her NEWTS, going to her lessons, attending the Slytherins quidditch competition and spending time with Cordelia and Avery.

Her and Cordelia walked through the halls, back to the common room after having their tea in the great hall.

"What's a matter with you?" Cordelia asked as they walked

"What do you mean?" Valentina said simply, not bothering to stop

"you just seem different, down in the dumps" Cordelia replied, "did something happen?"

"No" Valentina shook her head, "Nothings happened"

"Is it Avery?"

"No. It's nothing I promise"

Cordelia had given up asking as they made their way into the common room.

Valentina collapsed down onto the sofa beside Avery.

"Rough day val?" he asked amused

"You could say that"

Strangely, Avery had been good to Valentina. He was kind and considerate and had been treating her like a gentleman. Valentina wasn't sure why. Perhaps now her attention wasn't being diverted to a certain Gryffindor, Avery was satisfied with the attention he was getting and happy with where they were.

Valentina had found her way to the room of requirements that evening.

Her heart felt heavy as she closed her eyes, almost being able to feel Sirius warm hand in hers.

She opened them to find herself alone, surrounded by the towers of junk.

"Accio Diadem"

Nothing moved. Valentina wasn't sure if that meant that it wasn't in the room or that the dark lord hadn't been so stupid to allow that to work.

She decided to be safer than sorry and continued to look around.

The piles of junk were endless and Valentina was becoming more and more disheartened by the second.

She had finished on the previous pile, moving to another when her shoe caught on a stone slab that lined the floor. She tripped, falling into an old bird cage, scratching her arm.

She winced in pain and looked at her arm where a small cut was forming blood. In annoyance she glanced at the slab which jutted out, that had tripped her and she tilted her head in wondering.

Slowly, she walked back over to it, kneeling down beside it. Valentina grasped the stone slab with both her hands and pulled it up, sliding it up and out.

Underneath it, a wooden box.

Whatever was in it had obviously been intended to be hidden.

With shaky hands Valentina pulled it out, placing it on the floor next to her.

Cautiously, she lifted the lid. There was many weird and wonderful things in the room of requirements, but equally harmful.

The wooden lid hit the floor, rattling.

Valentina's lips fell open in shock.

The shine reflected in her eyes.

It was there, right in-front of her eyes.

It shone and sparkled in the little light that entered into the room of requirements.

With shaky hands she picked it up, standing up and holding it to the light.

She couldn't believe her eyes, she'd found it. She'd actually found it.

What was she supposed to do now? Avery had to be the one to find it.

Placing the diadem back into the box she hastily shut the lid, placing it back into the hole and pushing the stone slab back over it completely. She picked up the old bird cage and placed it over the slab it was under so she would be able to find it at a later date.

On her way back to the common room, Valentina realised her heart didn't feel light as she thought it would have. She had always imagined finding it by the side of Sirius, the boy she loved more than anything in the world.

She let her mind wonder to him. She wondered if he thought about her like she thought about him.

It took up every minute of her day. Longing to just hear his voice again, feel his hand in hers, his lips on hers.

It was all her fault.

If she hadn't been so stupid and naive and immature and ignorant and so intent of pleasing everyone else... perhaps Sirius would still love her.

Sirius lay in his bed, the marauders map open.

"Padfoots mate" James sighed, "Put it away and put your wand away. It's late and the light is keeping me awake"

"Not much longer" Sirius insisted, watching Valentina walk through the castle corridors at night. He just wanted to make sure she was okay and would make it back to the common room safely.

James sighed in sympathy and looked to remus and peter who were asleep before whispering. "Look, I know you Love her and she turned out not to be what you thought" he started gently, "but you need to let her go mate" he sighed once again. "Let her go Sirius"

Sirius closed his eyes as if the thought of no longer loving Valentina karkaroff physically hurt him.

"I'm trying prongs, I'm trying. I don't want to love her. Merlin, I'd do anything to not be in love with her but...she got me. She got me well"

James started at the ceiling, the best thing he could do for his friend was give him time, "I know mate, I know"