41"

Valentina had returned home for Christmas

Valentina had returned home for Christmas. She was sad to go home and was also admittedly quite nervous. She didn't know what to expect on the other side of the door.

Sirius had reassured her that she would be perfectly fine and no matter what happened he would always be there for her. He insisted that she should tell him if anything happened and he would come and get her.

Valentina knocked on the front door.

It was her house but it didn't really feel right to walk straight in, it didn't feel like her home.

The solid wooden door swung open and Valentina came face to face with her mother.

"Oh valentina" her mother smiled tightly, "I'm glad you're home"

Valentina took a step into the house and froze as suddenly her mother's arms wrapped around her.

She couldn't remember the last time her mother had ever shown any form of affection towards her.
Tentatively, she hugged her mother back.

"Hello mother" she said, "Is everything alright?"

Oksana face was pale and she looked extremely tired.

"yes, yes, of course. Take your trunk upstairs for the elves to unpack and meet me downstairs"

Valentina had done as her mother instructed after hiding Sirius Gryffindor jumper and the mirror behind her dresser.

Oksana was sat on one of the chairs in the parlour, a glass of wine in her hand. She sipped it every so often.

Valentina took a seat opposite her.

"Mother, are you sure everything is alright? Where is father and Igor?"

Her mother snapped out of her thoughts, eventually looking to Valentina, "Yes, yes, everything is fine" she replied, "Your father and brother are currently out on official business"

Valentina knew what official business was.

"Will they be back soon?" Valentina asked interestedly

Her mother didn't seem to know, "they will be back when the bidding is done"

Valentina thought that it was probably best she left the topic of conversation however she was too interested.

"Mother, are you definitely sure that you are okay? I mean, you look like you haven't slept in weeks"

Oksana snapped her head around to glare at Valentina, "I have been very busy these past weeks Valentina, hosting, trying to make a good impression of our family to the dark lord. The least you could do is give me some peace!"