Chapter 14

ALRIGHT! Personally, I think it would be pretty boring to just have this book about her pregnancy, so I'm having a FEW SHORT time skips. Are we cool with that? And I can't use the "R-Word" because then this story will become rated R, so just bare with me please. I watch a lot of crime shows, so I'm just going off what I see there for trials. I looked it up, and it wasn't very informative....

----
Tris

----

I didn't realize how much a small bump could get in the way of things. Drop your book? That's about three minutes of skilled squatting to get it up.

6 months.

That's how long I've been pregnant, and I'm tired. 'I only have three months to go.' I keep reminding myself. I can barely run without feeling my lungs collapse. Christina has been over non-stop helping decorate the baby's room and I can't even explain how grateful I am.

Lynn was living with Shauna and Zeke, she ended up aborting her baby. It was really rough for her. She's seeing a therapist and receiving treatment for the mental and physical problems. She comes by too. Mainly I go to her though. That's where I was headed right now. "Lynn?" I lightly knocked on the door.

"Who is it?" Lynn's weak voice called out.

"It's Tris." I responded.

"Come in."

I slowly opened the door, ignoring the creak and closing it behind me. I sat down on the edge of her bed and she wiped her eyes with the back of her hand. "How are you?" I asked.

"Not too good."

"Have you left your room in a while?"

"Yeah, but I'm scared to leave the apartment."

"When's your court date?" I asked.

"Tuesday. I can't go Tris, I can't. He'll be there." She grabbed onto my hand. "I can't go." She pleased

"Lynn." I said in a stern voice. "If you don't go you'll never get justice. You can't just not show up to court."

"Tris." She cried.

----

Lynn

----

I was getting dressed for my trial. I don't want to go, but Tris is making me. Technically, I don't have to go to court, but there isn't much the police can do about him if I don't.

I put on a long dark gray dress and a black cardigan, then make-up to make myself look healthier, and I had borrowed a pair of black heels from Shauna. My hair had been growing out for a while and was almost as long as a pixie cut, so I had to put some hair spray in to make it stay flat.

I wasn't sure that I could concentrate or even breathe properly if he was in the room. I was debating whether or not I should stay home and away from him, but then Shauna knocked and told me it was time to go. I looked in the mirror one last time and noticed all the color drained from my face. I put the blush compact in my bag, hoping I would remember to put more on when I got to the court house.

The Dauntless courthouse was above ground. Which meant a lot of stairs that I had to walk up. The entire gang was coming too, they were going to sit in the stands.

---

"Do you swear to tell the whole truth, all the truth, and nothing but the truth?"

"I do." I replied shakily.

"Ms. Harper," His lawyer we going to question me, "Can you tell the court room what crime you believe my client has committed?" She asked.

"H-he abused me and sexually assaulted me on multiple accounts." I replied. Please let it be over now, please let me go back to my seat.

"Do you believe there was reason to these accusations?" She asked.

"He was drunk."

"So what your saying is that if my client hadn't been intoxicated, none of what you claimed would've happened?"

"I...I don't know."

"You don't know?" She taunted.

"I guess it wouldn't have happened. He was fine before he started drinking." He smirked. Was he proud of himself?!

"5 minute recess." The judge called.

I rushed out of the stands and into the bathroom. I was reapplying my blush when I saw Shauna in the mirror behind me.

"Lynn, you're letting him win. You were defending Gabe." I winced at the name.

"No I wasn't Shauna. I was just telling the truth." Wasn't I?

---

"Mr Santos, Ms. Harper, the jury has come to a conclusion." The judge said. A man from the jury passed a note to the judge. "We the jury," the judge read, "Find Gabriel Santos, guilty."

The gang jumped out of their seats and cheered. I started crying, I was happy. I would have justice.

"Order, order in my courtroom!" The judge shouted, banging the gavel. "I sentence Gabriel Santos to 4 years in prison, you'll be eligible for parole in 4 years." Only 4? That's 4 years I'll be able to recover in though. "You're free to leave." The judge said to everyone else.

I jumped out of my seat and ran to my friends, hugging all of them. I was going to recover. I would get better.