Chapter 8

Fast forward to initiation.

----

Tris

----

Today, we're meeting the initiates. Tobias and I went to the ceremony and then we went back to Head Quarters as fast as we could. I knew there was no other way for me to get into Head Quarters than jumping. I didn't want to, being pregnant and all. It could hurt the baby. I closed my eyes and jumped. Tobias helped me off the net. We waited a few minutes until we saw a blur of black, white, and blonde hair. I reached out for her hand and helped her off.

"What's your name? Careful, you only get to pick once."

"Sammy." She said, confidently.

Tobias put her fist in the air. "First jumper-Sammy!" The compound cheered.

Soon 8 of the 9 of the initiate transfers were in the compound. A timid boy refused to jump and is now Factionless.

---

Sammy-Candor
Kyle-Erudite
Alex-Abnegation
Zoey-Candor
Josh-Amity
Cody-Erudite
Claire-Erudite
Andy-Candor

---

Tobias and I stood in front of them. "I'm Four, and this is Six."

"Before any of you ask, yes like the numbers." I added.

That received a few snickers. Tobias and I gave the transfers a tour around the compound and then we showed them the cafeteria. Tobias and I sat at our usual table with Will, Shauna, Christina, Zeke, Uriah, Marlene, and Lynn. I sat down next to Lynn. Claire was looking for somewhere to sit.

"Claire. Over here." I said. She smiled gratefully and sat down next me.

After we ate, we showed the transfers their room.

"Wait, so we are all, like sleeping in the same room? Girls and boys?" Zoey asked.

"Yes. Is there a problem?" I hissed.

"N-no." She stuttered.

"Good."

"We expect you in the training room by eight every morning. There will be a break for lunch and we let out at six. You can do whatever you want for the rest of the night." Tobias said.

Tobias and I walked back to the apartment. We easily fell asleep. We had had a busy day.

------

Tobias

------

I woke up at around seven the next morning and slowly woke up Tris. When she finally got out of bed, I took a shower. When I got out and dressed into black jeans and a black T-shirt, I walked to the kitchen. I saw Tris dressed in black leggings and a loose black T-shirt, eating some cereal. I poured a bowl and sat down next to her and ate my cereal.

"You can't throw knives at me this year. And I shouldn't do that much physical activity. I could hurt the baby." Tris said.

"What's the point of training, then?"

"I don't know. I should've just asked for an exemption."

"Too late, now. I'll try as hard as I can to make sure you don't overwhelm yourself with training."

"Thanks." She said, giving me a light kiss. "We should probably go, we don't want to be late."

----

Tris

----

We walked to the training room and leaned against the wall, waiting for the initiates to arrive. The first five walked in together, Sammy, Claire, Alex, Andy, and Josh. They stood against the opposite wall and then the rest of the initiates came in.

"Line up in front of the targets!" Tobias barked. The initiates obeyed. There was a table on the wall that we were leaning against, filled with knives. Tobias and I handed each one three knives, then Tobias started a demonstration.

"Wait!" Zoey yelled. "Aren't you, like, going to throw knives at Six? Past initiates were talking about it."

"No. Can Four continue?" I said, harshly.

"Alright, you're going to need to throw the knife at the center of the target, if you miss, go and retrieve them, and start over."

"While the others are throwing knives?" Zoey cut in.

"Yes." Tobias growled.

"Isn't that dangerous?"

"Can you keep your mouth shut for five minutes?" Sammy snapped. The initiates snickered.

"Yeah, maybe you should've stayed in Candor." Claire remarked.

Zoey ran out of the room crying. Why would she pick Dauntless if she couldn't handle it? Alex walked up to me. "Can I go see if she's alright?" She asked, hesitantly.

I nodded slowly. Alex was Abnegation through and through.