Chapter 11

----

Tris

----

"You've got to be kidding. Who in their right mind would let Peter train initiates?"

"He scored second in the first half of initiation, and I'm sure it's just temporary. At least until someone else is free." Tobias groaned.

"What about Lauren?" I asked. "She hasn't been able to train this year because Uriah and Marlene train the Dauntless Borns!"

"You're a genius, Tris. I'll go ask Max, before Peter gets a hold of any of them." Tobias left as soon as he could, and ran to catch the train.

---

I was trying to read a book, but I just couldn't concentrate. Eventually, I gave up and fell asleep.

"Tris?" A voice pulled me out of my sleep.

I sat up and was surprised at who was visiting me. "How'd you get out of the compound, Lynn?"

"It was my day off, so I just left. It's not like anyone tried to stop me."

"Then why do you have a black eye?" Her upper lip was busted open, too. You could tell she tried to cover it up, they make up had smeared and you could see the purple faintly.

"That's a story for another day. I came because I brought a present for Ten." Lynn said, pulling out a green plush toy from her bag. She set it at the end of my hospital bed.

"Tell me now. And who's Ten?" I asked.

"Ten. Your baby, four plus six equals ten. You guys don't know if it's a boy or a girl, Chris and I started calling it Ten."

"I guess that makes sense. But you didn't answer my other question."

Lynn sighed and started playing with her hands. "I've only told Shauna. You can't tell anyone, not even Four, okay?" I nodded. "You know who Gabe is, right?"

"Yeah, the boy from the the Hancock building. Why?"

"We've been dating for the past few months and...he would leave in the middle of the night, and then he would come back. Completely drunk. He made me do things, Tris." Her eyes got watery and she hugged her knees to her chest.

"Lynn." I whispered.

"When I didn't, he-he hit me." Tears started falling from her eyes. "I got pregnant and I don't want to tell him. I'm scared he will make me get rid of it, Tris."

"Lynn, you have to report this."

"No!" She sobbed. "I love him."

"He hits you."

"But he can stop. He can get better. I'll get him help."

"Lynn, if you don't report it, I will. I know you don't want me to, but I don't have a choice."

"Guess what!" Tobias shouted, walking into the room. He noticed Lynn crying. "Did I interrupt something?"

"No, I'm going home now." Lynn jumped up, wiping away her tears. She put on a fake smile and left.

"What's wrong with Lynn?" Tobias asked.

"Nothing. What's up?"

"Lauren's going to help train the initiates instead."

"That's amazing!"

I had to admit I was a little jealous. Lauren and Tobias had dated before, but she knew I was pregnant. She wouldn't do anything. Would she?

---

HAPPY THANKSGIVING, I'M THANKFUL FOR ALL OF MY BEAUTIFUL AND AMAZING READERS!!! If you're not American, Happy Thursday!!