46 || Dots

[Nova]
Chloe's voice is only on speaker of a phone or something, but nonetheless, I have to suppress the urge to dig my nails into my palms. I do not why she has this effect on me; it probably are simply the months of starving my veins remember, with her by my side, to first bring me my only daily meal, and later, to let me seduce her into helping me. I, though, never felt something for her but pity. So why the hell am I feeling the need to hide myself from her?

A hand gently wraps around my ankle, warmth spreading from it like trying to fight the ice in front of me. I glance down to meet Steve's intense, ocean-blue eyes again, not that hard to make out although almost pure darkness lays around us like a thick blanket, that seem a little translucent due to the light falling in the right angle on them. »It's not your fault, Nova.« he whispers, and it hits me with a pang!, like a fry pan right into my face.

Guilt.

The strong will to escape is guilt that I feel.

Steve, somehow reading the emotion from my face before I knew it myself, is wrong.

This is my fault.

I am the one who made her that way, because I left her behind and did not listen. Her hatred for the world - at least, that is what er voice dragged along by her words - is on my cost. Who knows what has happened afterwards? And even if she is fine, I still killed the only parent she had. Whether or not she seemed fine with it back then is another story; she could easily have switched sides in the last moment, or run back to see what fate washed over her father.

I should listen to the radio, number of deaths in Berlin. I need to update my body count.

»Excuse me, ma'am. Of course, Lilith. She is somewhere in Catania right now. You've been right. She arrived with Steven Rogers and Sam Wilson, coming from- « the man says, emotionless reporting the recent events, and is interrupted by Chloe herself.

»I know. She disgraced my father's grave.« she sounds annoyed, like I was a fly buzzing around her head for more than five minutes, easily wiped away.

»Should we search for her, ma'am?«

»No, stick to the plan. For what she did to me, and dared to give these stupid-ass avengers any clue about my base, I personally will escort her to hell. But not now. It is too early.«

Try me, bitch.

Steve's grab finally leaves my leg, as if by now assured I will not do something dumb and unthoughtful. The phone is turned off, and I can hear chairs scratching along the floor and people moving out. When no one is left in the room, I can finally push the fencing. Rattling, it hits the ground, but no one hears, because the door is closed. Slipping through it, I do not wipe the dirt off; there is no sense in leaving more evidence than anyways. Sam and Steve follow my example.

»Sam, could you hand me your phone, please? I need to make a call.«

He nods, not questioning anything, trusting me in this.

Soon enough, I can hear Tony's narcistic but caring voice on the other end of the line. I do not beat about the bush. »Tony, you all need to stop this. Call the avengers back. This is not your war, it now officially is mine, and there is no need to risk your health and life for me.«

Cap's look changes from confused to a version of Are you off your trolley?, while Sam narrows his eyebrows, wondering if I really was serious. Tony, too, seems not to be able to take the demand for real. »What did you take, Nova? Of course we will help you, you're-« he stops himself mid-sentence, as if to avoid saying something very wrong; probably something mocking, for what I really do not have the nerves, »you're one of us.«