71 || The World We Live in

[Nova/Steven/Nova]
»Hey, Nova?«

We are flying for an hour now. The beginning has been the most difficult part; I knew what buttons to push, knew how to direct the jet, or at least, common jets, but this is like car driving. You have got to get used to the vehicle before fully being able to ride it. For me, this meant a rather jumpy departure from the roof. Nevertheless, I can proudly say I did not hit a single building.

James has been next to me the entire time, quiet. Short glances of mine revealed him deep in thoughts, his common stare this time focussing on the clouds in our front. Then and now, he would get into it; a cold stare, indicating him being offline for the outworld, or rather, trying to intimidate the other person and make them nervous so much, they give him space. We are far beyond that, now; he never really tried it with me, his eyes always filled with a good amount of love even when in pain when he catches sight of me, warming my chest.

I did not put much attention to him, though, and far less than I would want to. I need to focus on the flight, get everyone to London in safety. A step forwards is that my heart is not pumping anymore like I just jumped out of level thirty of a skyscraper.

The fact he is speaking to me tells me two things: First, he finished hunting ghosts in his mind, and second, he is sure I will manage to split my concentration, what, in turn, reassures me to be able to do so. Ripping myself out of my own thoughts, I send him a short side glance. »Yeah?«

»In which world do you live in, now?«
It is like the softest and most pleasant hit he could have given me. We are literally on a killing mission, flying across the wide ocean with me having slept for twenty minutes the highest, and he still rips me back into our usual relationship, to my usual self, out of all this mess and chaos. A smile cracks my face knowing he even now pays attention to the details, and does not let me leave reality for a second without him at my side. »Cal's.«

»Because you don't know what you're leading us into, riding the jet? Thinking it could be a trap, could be a great bargain, but not a that obvious hint as it seems?« he asks, and my jaw slacks open.

Immediately, I turn on the autopilot. The sky is calm, we are high enough for no enemies to spot us, and the radar tells of no dangers.

Then, I face James, still having surprise written all over my face. »You read it?«

»At some point I thought perhaps it would be advantageous for me to read your favourite series, so, yes.« A smile plays with his mouth, gently, and his cheeks turn a shade pinker.

»Oh, my God.« I instantly forget where we are, what we are doing. Scenes of the series spark in my head, dominating reality, events for events of the pentalogy.

My hands grip the armrest for stability, while I lean forward in James's direction, looking up to him, excitement ringing in my bones. »What do you think of Maven? What do you think of Mare giving in to the bargain? Lucas shouldn't be dead. And Elara should've died much worse. The whole thing with Shade got me crying in the end, and how cruel is it to force Cal to kill his own father and them blame him for it? The last scene has been so funny.« I tap his arm several times, pure serotonin enlightening me. »The one with the wolves, you know, where Cal doesn't listen to Mare and then, his comment.« I giggle, my free hand covering my mouth.

»Isn't it cool to be able to control lightening? Do you think Thor could learn how to manipulate the electric impulses of a human or anything and kill it instantly? That would be so cool!« I babble like a waterfall, non-stop. With my hands, I soon started gesturing wildly.

James starts chuckling, eyes alight. My heart skips another beat, and I am sure I am short before a heart attack – again. His straight, white teeth are shown off shortly, and I bet he could get the job of every tooth commercial there is in the world. Sometimes, I really am like 'Dude, that guy is so hot', and then I realize, 'That guy is mine'. »One question at a time, sweetheart. But I knew your first would be about Maven, with you being so interested in psychology.«