"Always Come Back To Me" - Kenshin

The sky roared as if heaven itself was tearing the land asunder. The rain came down in sheets, powerfully pelting down and staining the ground in darkened splotches and giving the flora a much-needed drink during the blazing summer heat.

Sighing, the resident princess of the castle gazed out the small window in the corner of the room, watching the land flood with the water that the gloomy clouds above produced. She looked down at her hands and clasped them together, silently making a prayer wishing for the safe return of her beloved.

Flashes of bright blinding lightening wove through the sky later on in the day, the towns were empty of that bustling normalcy that usually filled the streets every day. The rain came down harder, sharply hitting whatever was beneath it.

The young woman roamed the halls, worry spiking to all new levels whenever she overheard others whisper of the lateness of the lord of the castle. Usually brave, she now couldn't keep the concern from showing plain in her expression, face twisting to make her appear beyond her years.

She waited in front of the main gate, protected from the rain. Looking every which way and keeping her eyes on her surroundings, hoping for a glimpse of her husbands battle standard and the accompanying army. Sudden relief washed through her body as she heard the gallop and marching of many horses and men. Her body went lax as the worry left her, the stiffening in her muscles that she did not know was there was now a thing of the past.

It wasn't long until they came into view of her exciting and bright eyes, that were not dulled by the gloom of the weather. Not caring about the rain pouring down heavily, she ran out to meet them, eyes searching for only one man.

She ran through the rows of soldiers, splashing through the pools of water formed on the ground, painting her legs shades of brown in places. There he was, her love. Fog covered her vision until she got close enough to really get a good look at him.

Clutching his arm with the other, he was on top of his white steed. A dark liquid dripping through his fingers and cascading down his pale arm. She froze upon seeing him. The worry that she had let seep out her body, now taking the place of her excitement in the forefront of her mind and heart. 

He vaulted of his horse, a quiet hiss of pain leaving his lips as he did. Making his way towards his concern-stricken wife. He wished that she did not have to see him in such a sight but it was too late for that now.

She found her voice and looked into his mismatched eyes. "K...Ken...shin.. oh my..". Water fell from his blonde locks, plastering curly wisps to the side of his face. She hadn't been outside long but she was already drenched herself, her chestnut hair turning a slightly darker colour.

Time seemed to stand still as the rest of the men moved along and headed indoors. It wasn't long until they were the only ones left outside, snapping out of her reverie, she took the hand of his uninjured arm and led him inside.

"We have to get...you inside" she held his hand tightly and led him inside, passing the worried glances of his men. His blood left a trail as they weaved through the halls.

When they reached her room, he stopped just outside the door which made her stop and look back at him. "I don't wish to get my blood in your room" he made a face as he said this, like just the thought was disgusting.

"I don't care about that" she told him and gave his hand a light tug, submitting to her, he let himself be led into the room. No sooner than he'd entered she was ushering him down to the floor. He sat down and she left him for a short time, soon returning with a wooden box filled with salve, bandages and medicine.

Kneeling in front of him, she reached out to take his armour off. Before she could however, he caught her wrist in a firm grip. He didn't want her to stain her hands with his blood, or anyone's blood for that matter.

She studied his eyes and spoke, "Please....let me be the one to help you. Can I do that?" she continued to look into his eyes, pleadingly this time. If he was uncomfortable with that she would back away and let a professional handle this but for once she wanted to be able to do something for him.

He breathed out harshly and slowly let go of her wrist, relaxing his body as he helped her to remove the heavy armour from his person. Once that was done, she carefully peeled back his kimono and uncovered his arm. Upon seeing the angry red deep slash that ripped across his upper arm, she hissed as though it caused her pain as well.

He kept his eyes trained on her, thinking of how attentive she was. She looked up into his eyes then and they gazed at each other for a little while. "This is going to sting, okay?" she frowned at the prospect of causing him more pain. He nodded his understanding, after all this wasn't the first time he had been hurt, though normally he cleaned and wrapped it himself.

She took the wooden box into her hands and fished out a jar of a watery plant-based antiseptic. Pulling the cork out, she gently took hold of his arm and slowly poured the liquid over his cut, making sure to get it in all the cracks. She stopped in between and glanced up to gouge his reaction, he didn't make so much as a sound but his teeth were digging into his bottom lip.

"Are you okay?" her voice was full of concern, no one wants to see the one they love in pain. After he nodded again, she began to pour the rest of the contents onto his arm before taking up a needle and a suture made from a plant to close the wound.

Her many visits to the battlefield and helping out in the medical tent had led her to know a thing or two about healing. She steadily threaded the material through the needle and looked into his one blue and one green eye, seeking approval to start the procedure, after she received it, she started.

Pushing the needle through his battle worn skin she began to stitch him up carefully, after checking the sutures and making sure they would stay, she took the bandage from the box and wrapped it securely around his arm, making sure it wasn't too tight and making sure he could still move his arm. Her eyes glistened with unshed tears.

Now she was done, she put away the box of equipment and sat back in front of him. "Thank you" were the first words in a while to leave his mouth. He was too ashamed to speak to her before but realized that he doesn't have to hide his pain or flaws from her as she would never look down on him for it.

She leaned forward and pecked his lips. "You're welcome" she breathed and stared up at his face. She contemplated giving him another kiss but decided against it right now. Instead, she brushed his damp hair away from his face.

She stepped outside for a moment to fetch him a clean kimono, his previous one was littered in tears and stained with dirt, his blood and even the blood of his opponents. After she came back, she helped him to put on his new kimono and straightened the collar for him.

He thanked her again and they gazed at each other for what felt like the millionth time today. "Kenshin?...I know protecting us is your job, and I'm not asking you to stop but please I want you to always come back to me" she admitted and took his face into her hands kissing him fully on the lips.

Pulling back from him, she smiled somewhat sadly. Seeing this, he used his one good arm to pull her into his chest, embracing her and whispering to her of his promise to always come back to her even if he had to crawl. 

AUTHORS NOTE

Definitely one of my favourites. I really hope you guys like it as well, let me know what you thought of it?. I think it's a silent piece and will speak for itself if you listen to it, if that makes sense. Have a great week! and stay safe