Loteria Tarot

Loteria cards are FIRST AND FOREMOST made for and used as a GAME. Not a divination system. Over time and on cards produced by the major suppliers (especially Don Clemente) the images have stayed more or less the same and in roughly the same order.

Order of the images means nothing. It's not like the Fool's Journey in Tarot. It's a bingo game that we're taking and re-purposing as a divination tool. The printers don't care about non-game use.

1.El Gallo (The Rooster)

"El que le cantó a San Pedro no le volverá a cantar"
The one who sang for San Pedro won't return to sing again.

The card's meaning is wrapped up in the image brought to mind in the saying. As all Christians know Saint Peter was told that before the rooster crowed he would deny Christ three times, he would betray Him.
That's what El Gallo is doing here for us. He's warning us of betrayal so we need to look out for it; or someone that has betrayed us (like San Pedro) won't do it again and can be trusted now. It could also mean the Rooster is giving up trying to warn and won't be back to repeat his cry. So: Listen to advice while you can because it's not going to be endlessly repeated for you. The situation and other cards will help you decide which of these interpretations is best.

2.El Diablito (The Little Devil)

Portate bien cuatito si note lleva el coloradito!
Behave yourself buddy, so the little red one doesn't take you away!

Note the diminuatives all through the title and the saying. This isn't *the* Devil, Satan himself. No, this is a little devil. The troubles he brings are more irritations and day to day bothers than any true EVIL. He rains down heck upon you.
So the saying is telling you to make sure you're doing everything right so you can stay out of trouble yourself, or that someone's making trouble for you and you want to handle it appropriately so you can avoid being swept along by his nonsense.

3. La Dama (The Lady)

La dama puliendo el paso, por todo la calle real.
The lady polishes as she steps, all along the royal street.

If you're used to reading other systems like Kipper, Gypsy, or Lenormand you might be quick to think of La Dama as a significator card. She is not. She has her own meaning aside from being just a woman.
She's walking down the street like a queen, like royalty, spreading grace and elegance and dignity as she goes. The situation calls for some of that too. Cut the drama, cut the theatrics, and handle the situation with grace and dignity.
Another way you could interpret is that she's showing off as she walks down the street. She thinks she's better than us! So maybe the card is showing where someone's showing off or being boastful. Or putting on a show for others. The situation usually makes it obvious which of these two ends is being represented.

4. El Catrin (The Dandy)

Don Ferruco en la Alameda, su baston queria tirar. Sir Ferruco in the walk, wanted to toss his cane.

Like La Dama, El Catrin could be mistaken for a significator by those practicing other card systems that include those cards. Loteria cards do not and El Catrin has his own preoccupations.
He's in nice part of town and wants to throw away his old cane. He wants to spiffy himself up, look better, fancier, richer.
This card can be saying to strive, let go of what's holding you back (the cane) and go for something better for yourself. Self improvement is what this card is about. If you're not happy with how things are working for you, break free and start fresh.
Making good impressions are part of this card as well I'd say. You know, just because you're going to the Dollar Store doesn't mean you can't put on some clean clothes that match and dazzle them with your presence!

5. El Paraguas (The Umbrella)

Para el sol y para el agua.
For the sun and for the rain.

This one's not too difficult. An umbrella offers protection from all kinds of conditions, rain or shine! Someone's offering you the same protection. It's also telling
*you* to be prepared, too, for what might come, be it good or bad. It could also indicate that with the good comes the bad. Generally though the umbrella about being prepared against the "weather" of any situation.