Planetary Magic 101: Talismans on a Budget

When studying classic literature on planetary talismans, we see them mainly being made out of metals - quite expensive ones sometimes.
But not everyone has the budget to get tools for engraving, let alone buying all kinds of planetary metals or even necessary ceremonial tools common in Renaissance magic.

1. Crafting your Talisman

First, you have to craft your talisman before you consecrate it - the consecration is specifically the act which makes your talisman into a "magical item".

Any magical operation within Renaissance and planetary magic requires ritual purity; which can be achieved by abstinence, chastity and fasting. In order to achieve this state I personally practice abstinence and chastity at least three days minimum before the work, and fast either a day or a few hours before the work. Thankfully, this can be achieved without spending money (on the contrary, it probably saves you money unless you add a purification bath).

Usually, a text will call for a specific material in order to make a talisman out of - this is usually a type of metal. Now making a talisman out of metal requires tools for engraving as well; which a whole lot of people can't afford.

There is actually a traditional substitute for these metals - parchment! Why parchment? Well, most likely because it was the primary "paper" of that time - we see similar ways of substitution in the Greek Magical Papyri which (big surprise) calls for papyrus as a universal substitute.

So, in my opinion you don't need to buy real parchment which would be made out of animal skin and usually costs a whole lot as well (+for a lot of people there are also ethical and moral reasons as to why they would not want to purchase real parchment). Out of "deductive" reasoning, I came to the conclusion that you can use any type of "blank" writing material - be it paper or "parchment" paper.

It won't make your talisman any less of a talisman. Just make sure you use the correct methods and timing, and you should be good. Remember that most planetary talismans should also be crafted in the appropriate day and hour - and it you can, do it during a waxing moon.

2. Incense
Now after you have crafted your talisman at appropriate times and have picked a time for your consecration, it's time to pick your incense.

A lot of traditional practitioners will go for resin incense or even self-made incense. This can be quite expensive or you'd need to be well-versed with incense-making and planetary properties for the second option - which can also be quite time consuming.

So what then? Well there are two inexpensive options:
•Stick incense
•Herbs

Stick incense is very accessible and inexpensive - it also comes in many different scents. This is definitely an option for a lot of people.

Here are incenses and their planetary property, taken from Agrippa's Three Books of Occult Philosophy and the Heptameron:
•Sun: Frankincense (Agrippa), Red Sanders (Heptameron)
•Moon: Aloe (Heptameron)
•Mars: Pepper (Heptameron), Sanders (Agrippa)
•Mercury: Mastic (Heptameron)
•Jupiter: Storax (Agrippa), Saffron (Heptameron)
•Venus: Ladanum (Agrippa), Saussurea Lappa or Pepperwort* (Heptameron)
•Saturn: Sulfur (Heptameron), Pepperwort Root & Frankincense (Agrippa)

*The word used in this instance of the Heptameron makes it ambiguous what incense/herb is meant - Joseph H. Peterson proposes that Saussuera Lappa was meant instead of Pepperwort.

However if you're like me and you don't have an esoteric store nearby, or generally not a store that sells stick incense - you can also settle for herbs! Which is actually something that a whole lot of grimoires also propose (if you look at incenses listed above).

Here are some herbs, plants and trees and their planetary properties you can burn instead of resins or stick incenses, taken from Agrippa's Three Books of Occult Philosophy:
•Sun: laurel/bay leaves, saffron, marigold, ginger
•Jupiter: basil, bugloss, sea green
•Moon: hyssop, rosemary
•Venus: coriander, thyme, violet
•Mercury: marjoram, parsley, pimpernel
•Mars: nettle, mustard seeds, leeks, onions, garlic
•Saturn: cumin, daffodil, dragonwort, mandrake

Please just make sure to look into the herb your using before burning it, since some of the herbs Agrippa lists might be poisonous!

3. Invocation & Consecration
Now it's time for the consecration! Of course, make sure to do the consecration at the appropriate time and election. The least you need are the correct planetary day, hour and a waxing moon. For planetary hours, you can just use free apps like AstroVizor or websites like planetaryhours.net

The planetary days are:
•Sunday: Sun
•Monday: Moon
•Tuesday: Mars
•Wednesday: Mercury
•Thursday: Jupiter
•Friday: Venus
•Saturday: Saturn

( (i'm going to make another post about astrological timing) )

Take your talisman and prepare your incense at the time you selected. Now, use the planetary invocation you selected - wait, so where do we get those from?

There are tons of books on the market that include such invocations, however you can just settle literature that is already public domain. I myself use the Orphic Hymns which had been used by Marsilio Ficino as invocations to the planets.

•Sun: 3. Orphic Hymn to Helios
•Moon: 8. Orphic Hymn to Selene
•Saturn: 12. Orphic Hymn to Kronos
•Jupiter: 14. Orphic Hymn to Zeus
•Mercury: 27. Orphic Hymn to Hermes
•Venus: 54. Orphic Hymn to Aphrodite
•Mars: 64. Orphic Hymn to Ares

Use the appropriate invocation, burn your herb, wood or resin and pass your talisman through the smoke. This process infuses your talisman with the corresponding planetary energy, as well as with the spirit itself. This is a process known as suffumigation.

Note that suffumigation is not the same as the forceful binding of a spirit. You ask the planetary spirit or god to infuse your talisman with its presence and you do not bind or incarcerate a spirit within a talisman. After the process is complete, store it with care and respect until you place it somewhere, where you want your talisman to take effect.

And that's it. You don't anything more to make a planetary talisman!